If You Run A Tree Business - This Affects You

Mr Ed

I would guess Matt, that most of the Boi we produce goes abroad ? Surely if local demand increases we won't ship abroad and more can be paid for locally produced.

Guess again Dean. The few big instalations around the country (lockerbie, Shotton, Wilton 10) suck up every last scrap of biomass we have.

I'm hoping that with the additional demand of drax, that is what will push prices up.

However, I know the buyers at Drax, and I know that if they cant get it dirt cheap here, they will just ship in a million tonnes of biomass from abroad.:sad:

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll buy your chip off you now Dean if you can stock pile a couple of wagon loads.

Very little goes abroad at the moment, we struggle to find enough chip as it is without sending any abroad.

I'm popping up to see Mr Mctree next week if you want me to pop in and have a chat with you as well while i'm in the area ?

The important thing to remember is the chip we produce as tree surgeons is virtually useless for anything other than the big installations.

However if you are a small biz you maybe able to stock pile a percentage of your chip for small scale local schemes but this is probably unrealistic, it's a waste product to you and i really wouldn't invest to much time or money in trying to shift it as you'll never see a return.

Buzz. Out of interest,how much a ton and how long can we stock pile before it's past sell by date

Up to 18 months in some cases, a wagon load is 27ton and that's not as bigger pile as you'd think.

As for price it depends where you are, how good it is, and which market i'd send it to.

I'll buy your chip off you now Dean if you can stock pile a couple of wagon loads.

Very little goes abroad at the moment, we struggle to find enough chip as it is without sending any abroad.

I'm popping up to see Mr Mctree next week if you want me to pop in and have a chat with you as well while i'm in the area ?

Depending on which part of the week it is Buzz. I might be able to come to you while your at Petes or if petes free at the time he may be able to show you where I am .

I am planning on the building keeping the chip dry to be able to stockpile till theres enough for collection.

and I know that if they cant get it dirt cheap here, they will just ship in a million tonnes of biomass from abroad.:sad:

IMO we have kielder forrest importing chips from norway or some where to heat there swimming pool and yet they are amongst some of the biggest timber harvesting operations in this country out side its front door,,,it amazes me how much goes to waste on there clear fell sites especially when you would consider the forresty commision should be at in recycling but they seem more interested in building mountain bike runs!