how old?

wakarb

I have met gollum in person, and i am certain he knows that he has my respect and admiration, i doubt he batted an eyelid! Mark has skills and knowledge that I do not, we all have our skills, this is mine.

Good for you Mark :thumbup1: , but Tony, I think armybloke meant himself being one of the "mere mortals" :lol: .

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have met gollum in person, and i am certain he knows that he has my respect and admiration, i doubt he batted an eyelid! Mark has skills and knowledge that I do not, we all have our skills, this is mine.

Totally, and i will try much MUCH harder to be more sensitive with my replies in future, even with those that ask for it!:lol:

Thank you Tony.

Never offended and hope I don't offend any of the others. :001_smile:

Gollum,

You should have choosen another example, because both Prunus and Malus is associated with endomycorrhizal microfungi :confused1: . See the short list of ecto- and endomycorrhizal fungi.

Fungus

the reason I chose Prunus and Malus is example of short life span.

making it easier to establish age.

How ever with the fashions of the last 2 centuries for the control of fungal attack of Prunus and Malus.

Ageing may be difficult through fungal colonisation.

for example the control of Erysiphe, Sphaerotheca,Nectria galligena,

with tar oil, or nicotine in the old days or even copper in latter days.

these would also kill of any other fungal colonisation.

the control of Erisoma lanigerum was and still is important as the colonisation will weaken the trees defence and make it more susceptible to

Nectria galligena in Prunus.

the reason I chose Prunus and Malus is example of short life span. making it easier to establish age.

How ever with the fashions of the last 2 centuries for the control of fungal attack of Prunus and Malus. Ageing may be difficult through fungal colonisation. for example the control of Erysiphe, Sphaerotheca, Nectria galligena, with tar oil, or nicotine in the old days or even copper in latter days. these would also kill of any other fungal colonisation.

the control of Erisoma lanigerum was and still is important as the colonisation will weaken the trees defence and make it more susceptible to Nectria galligena in Prunus.

Gollum,

One can add a lot of other parasitic macrofungi to this list, because trees with a short life cycle associated with endomycorrhizal microfungi, such as Prunus and Malus, are far more under fungal attack, because they have a much weaker root defense system and because of that a poorer defense system of the tree as a whole, then trees with a longer life span associated with ectomycorrhizal symbionts have.

From similar diam Beech trees I've felled I would put its age somewhere between 200 and 300 years old.

I dont doubt it, however this tree is 300 or more, Ganoderma pfiefferi is part of the Fagus sylvaticas life, it is aside the meripilus one of the major old age enders of beech. the tree has also many old snags that have long occluded and the root crown all indicate very early ancient status, i.E 300 plus we have to remember that a tree of 250 plus (beech) may not gain much incremental growth at this age, it merely ramifies buds and stabalises crown form.

this one has reached its prime, has out competed the rest and has no competitors, it can sit proud and increase its photosynthetic area by ramifying. this one has reached the finish line and is no longer in any hurry:001_cool: