dadio throws a big top

dadio

that performance was terrible, your bore cut wasn't even level and the mess you made out of that grass was in my view unacceptable and your hinge was wider at one end than the other. that job should have been rigged and lowered to save the damage of the garden that was caused. PS - update your saw, a man is only as good as his tools :biggrin::001_tongue::biggrin::001_tongue

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not necessarily.. like anything else it just takes some experience and observation.. trial and error..

And I'd expect to use it in many situations where 180º wasn't needed, just enough to turn the tree slightly, 90º or less.. A tree can be spun slightly by using a narrow humboldt and a rolling snipe.. (see fundamentals of general tree work).. I wonder how much more spin could be gained by using a wrapped (yo-yo) tie off.. its going to be fun to find out..

I've seen many trees spin, some on purpose, some by accident, some by happy accident. But if someone got me in to do a job and specifically asked me not to wreck a lawn, there's no way I'd chance it. MEWP and/or crane. If they can afford a full time groundkeeper, and live on a 10million dollar estate, they can afford a crane. And a healthy tip for the lads cleaning up, and sure they might as well throw in a cuppa and some biccies while they're at it.

I would have thought so to, until I watched a slow motion vid of a similar fall..

You can see at 1:45 that the bottom of the step clears the remaining trunk, only catching a loose piece of bark.. that was a bigger step and that top was only fallling with the force of gravity on a front leaner..

And I wasn't worried so much about the grass as this customer has a full time grounds keeper..

do you not like climbing or something because on every video you make you never climb more than a few feet, you always cut and drop and destroy peoples grass area an just to get the job done quickly.

if you don't know or use the tapered hinge, then you have no business critiquing my work. I wrote the book on it... see TCI mag July 2004..

Murphy....you wrote an article about a technique that people have been using for years....declaring you 'wrote the book on it' is just a little bit of an exaggeration dont you think?

One of my bigger problems I have with your technique is there was a very experience tree cutter in the uk a few years ago who felled trees like you did, the tree split once the top had gone and with his lanyard around the trunk it killed him by being crushed with his lanyard , you can not measure or know the forces inside a peace of timber .... You have no escape route to get out the way , I am aware you had the rope above to prevent barbers chair but that was not once in any of your other vids

I clearly state that in the second paragraph.. "this technique has been used and taught by loggers for generations".. interestingly there are many well repected logging and arborist instructors that now teach that this technique does not work or work reliably.. they teach to use the adjusted gun method only, which makes no sense to me!

Do you know of any other writing on the subject that is more complete???