Mounting a Crane on a trailer a frame?

mikecotterill

I've been looking at buying a crane to fit onto my trailer, mainly for lifting my Jo beau onto it. I've seen the Lucas and penny hydraulics ones but they can go for silly money, I'm thinking of modifying a folding engine crane instead. Thing is I don't want to mount it on the bed so was thinking of mounting it on the a frame? The idea was to mount a steel triangular plate on the a frame then bolt the crane onto this, and adapt it to swivel. Now I could have an outrigger for the side when i lift of the floor but I'm wondering when it turns to go on the trailer is it going to be too much stress on the a frame? I think the chipper weighs 120 kg ish. Hope that all makes sense :)

Oh should mention I am aware of the noseweight etc. Cheers mike

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike got a penny hydraulics 500 kg swing lift crane 2005 model excellent condition with wander lead and all cables for sale at 300 quid ,cable and crane are as new ,

That's a bargain!

By the time you've fannied about adapting the engine hoist you'd be wishing you'd bought the proper thing.

That's a bargain!

By the time you've fannied about adapting the engine hoist you'd be wishing you'd bought the proper thing.

I enjoy fabricating things so I'll enjoy doing it and I'll have something that exactly fits my needs and could if needed lift a ton. Ive been keeping an eye on eBay for a while and they go for between 100-300 ish so steves is priced right it's just I've not got 300 to spend on something I'll use a couple of times a month.

Steve looks like you've sold it for £400 ;)