Simon Says | Laser Says

mdvaden

Same task could be done using one of the following ........all available for free or a few bucks.

Probably yes, but does it have "Laser" written on the side, NO! So let the boy have his toy.:biggrin:

Offcourse the forementioned stick, straight edge+angle iron or app could do the same but: could they do it quite as easy and accurate? If that extra inch of accuracy matters then it may well be a justified expense. I personally don't think that level of accuracy is called for, surely it doesn't matter if it is going to miss the Bentley by half an inch, you're going to want it moved well out the way.

Laser super dooper height finder thingy, £650....

Climbing up and knocking the head out of it to be sure, priceless :001_tt2:

Never had the need for anything like that, not even a stick or a protractor on a string.

scenario 1: "ok i think its going to land about here" quick look around for targets "ok knock it down theres plenty room"

scenario 2: "ok i think its going to land about here" quick look around for targets "going to be a bit close to this, take a few meters off it first and knock it down"

scenario 3: "ok i got my laser thingy and it says it will land exactly here, knock it down it will fit" "i cant you spent all the cash on the stupid laser thingy and never bought a saw":lol:

I guess your laser thingy could be great for certain things but to me its pretty useless for cutting down trees, will it for example tell you the bounce factor? you can be as precise as you can but there is still bounce, rolling and bits breaking off and flying through the window of that bently.

Cool tool but not for me:thumbup1:

Same task could be done using one of the following iPhone apps (some must also exist for Android smartphones):

- all available for free or a few bucks.

How do those apps and phones handle the horizontal distance between the user and the trunk?

• 3 months later...

Did my dissetation on these laser devices, nikon forester 500, lasertech trupulse and vertex. Tried them all and they all varied in areas but found the nikon only useful for single trees as if a branch gets in the way where you sight it measures from that point not what your aiming at. The vertex was easily the best with more features like distance measuring from the trees base and was most accurate in general. Anyway in certain situations you cannot see the top of the tree so have to guessimate it anyway which sort of defeats the object of it all although the more accurate the esimate the better with timber prices being marginal for thinnings etc.

I would nt bother with one for arb as it id overkill and not nessecary for the work being done. :001_smile: