Simon Says | Laser Says

mdvaden

Laser Says tree tip 39 feet above ground level using VD / Vertical Distance setting.

(This is a duplicate I posted on the "Buzz")

Laser says put cones 39 feet away from tree using HD / Horizontal Distance setting.

Math says tree tip falls 3 feet short of cones, because Tape Says felling cut 3 feet above ground.

39 - 3 = 36

The tree tip fell 2 inches from the target. Did not need to do this today, but the location was perfect down a dead-end street Culdesac to take photos for illustration. Only takes 1/2 a minute to a minute to do both measurements.

Not sure how many arborists this would come in handy for, but even on short trees I would enjoy an extra quick verification about where the top should land within foot to a few centimeters accuracy. The Impulse laser is even more accurate than the Trupulse.

tree_laser_600C.jpg.c8d11a09eff39663a9bc88c1e8114db8.jpg

tree_laser_600B.jpg.bfa477119ec12a7d9a03ea2177cb8054.jpg

tree_laser_600A.jpg.3b72027ffe4a120b2305145bdb0f0748.jpg

Edited by mdvaden

Very accurate but is it really necessary

Could you not use other more 'countrystyle' methods

We used to use a set square and spirit level and just sight along the angled edge- provided the base was level walk back or forward till you sight the top of the tree- always worked pretty accurate

I presume though you had the laser for other work and have found this to be another

Very accurate but is it really necessary

Could you not use other more 'countrystyle' methods

We used to use a set square and spirit level and just sight along the angled edge- provided the base was level walk back or forward till you sight the top of the tree- always worked pretty accurate

I presume though you had the laser for other work and have found this to be another

It is on hand from other work. I rarely do tree removals but took it out to demonstrate this potential use yesterday. If I did not have this one "on loan" around, I would buy one as soon as possible. It's even handy to know if ground in one area is higher or lower than another in relation to whether a drain line for water should go one way or the other.

I'm thinking it could also let climbers know what lengths of rope or gear they may need to bring up a tree with them.

When I was trying to estimate the crown spread of a Spruce tree I nominated recently, without climbing, it was fairly easy to approximate the reach of limbs using the VERTICAL height of two limbs. That told me how high one was above the other. Using that space as a gauge, it became an increment I could measure the limb length with on a photo or on the computer screen with a ruler.

Falcons_Tower_Spruce_600A.jpg.99ca2bad4057ab0e56e7e4c9c60a9974.jpg

Falcons_Tower_Spruce_600C.jpg.d22b8d9fa463030cf382690dd60e9f15.jpg

Just had a look on their site. Certainly impressive. Around £650.

Same task could be done using one of the following iPhone apps (some must also exist for Android smartphones):

How High or Far for iPhone, iPod touch (4th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi, and iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G on the iTunes App Store

Clinometer - level and slope finder for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

U-Clinometer for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

seeLevel - visual clinometer for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

- all available for free or a few bucks.