advice on going from splitter to processor

Stephen Blair

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

here's my 2pennies worth, i agree with all those who've said they're good if u have lots of nice straight cord wood. I built a homemade version for myself, not as complex or quick as a brought one but i soon found once all the straight timber was gone it was as much use as a chocolate teapot in the sahara!!

I've since stripped it to pieces and made a quick foot pedal operated vertical splitter, for the small amount we do i've found it much more succesful to run any smaller straight wood through the circular saw and then throught he splitter. or chainsaw and then splitter. I've ended up recently with a load or two of wood from a yard that runs a large processor and any of the timber they can't put through that was gettng dumped over the quarry edge so they now save it and i pick it up FOC.

Depends on the situation, i'd love to have a shiny processor and do tons and tons in half the time but i just don't get that kinda timber very often. And there's too much competition in the area from others who do it with processors for it to warrant me getting into firewood in a big way!:001_rolleyes:

will try the bit of string steve mine cost £12,000

Billy, we don't do enough to get any savings from a processor but, if you believe it will pay for itself in 2 years, it did make me wonder what is the £££'s/cube is just for the processor costs (not running costs or labour) and how many cubes it is good for.

Great advice Mike, last week I went and looked at a £150 k processor , it jammed every 20 secs, vertical splitter it is:)

I keep seeing new processors at the shows cutting nice straight birch and they still seem to jam or fall the wrong way every minute or so. I have a 9 year old hakki 2x which does not stand me any money its a usefull piece of kit but I dont think i would spend 10k on a newer model at the moment. I have a Sheppach 0x3 vertical splitter almost as quick more versatile and less maintenance. Any time we save on processor seems to be taken with srewing new bits back on.

Hi Stephen, we sold Billy68 the Farmi WP36 processor and I am sure he would give you an honest appraisal of it. We have a promotion on the WP30 model if you want to contact us.

Have you considered the alternative of Billeting timber to 1.5 meter lengths and then using a log saw or conveyor? Works out cheaper than a processor and you don’t have the 12-14" timber diameter restriction.

Output obviously varies on size of timber and length of log you want.

Over the weekend I was Processing with the WP36 10-12" diameter to 10" logs and filling a dumpy bag in under 10 minutes. The red arms on the ground along the tow bar lift the lengths of timber onto the processor so no need for a Log rack and a true one operator machine. There are two sizes the WP30 cuts 12" as standard but can have a larger bar fitted to cut 15". The WP36 cuts up to 14" a standard and comes with twin hydraulic pumps and larger splitting force. Standard they come with Tractor linkage & PTO drive, the great thing is you can add a petrol engine and towing axle etc at any time as they just bolt on.

01420 487300 [email protected] http://www.alpinetractors.com

• 3 months later...

Billy, i'd be interested in knowing how you've got on with the Riko, I was at LAMMA today and had a good look round the wp36 and wp30. was very impressed with them. regarding the price, the guy on the stand was quoting a starting price of around 6k....?? and around 7 for the one that had a couple of extras. at that sort of money im seriously interested.