advice on going from splitter to processor

Stephen Blair

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about one of these?

Similar to other I believe. Have seen them in action and was quite impressed. Thought that the log would "snatch" when cut but it didn't at all.

Only problem I see with those type processors is the end product is poor. If it could shear without splitting it would be a great tool.

Only problem I see with those type processors is the end product is poor. If it could shear without splitting it would be a great tool.

Know what you mean- looking at the vid I wonder if the blade can be reversed to achieve this? I've sheared stuff with my vertical splitter but find it tends to splinter the larger the pieces get

Rikko are just up the road from us I should take some time to go and have a look. The Wp36 looks good for the money. Not sure how the rest of you guys have got on but after the last two winters this year looks a bit sad for us. The price of cord got so High last January it would have priced us out of the market round here. It got cheaper in August by which time it was late so we are well stocked for next year. Be careful of investing big money in processors Ie 20-30k as alot of people in the past got a grant for half the money. A processor for under 10k new I think is doable but you need some serious amounts of straight timber to get a wage and make it pay back in 3 years. Less than half the cord I buy is under 14"

Rikko are just up the road from us I should take some time to go and have a look. The Wp36 looks good for the money. Not sure how the rest of you guys have got on but after the last two winters this year looks a bit sad for us. The price of cord got so High last January it would have priced us out of the market round here. It got cheaper in August by which time it was late so we are well stocked for next year. Be careful of investing big money in processors Ie 20-30k as alot of people in the past got a grant for half the money. A processor for under 10k new I think is doable but you need some serious amounts of straight timber to get a wage and make it pay back in 3 years. Less than half the cord I buy is under 14"

all good points steve.

the guy on Riko stand was fairly sure there are still a few grants around, and i'm going to look into a few trust funds local to me and who are keen to support young farmers. safety is key factor for me, and my saw bench i have right now isnt great on that front, hence why im looking at a new processor.

depends on your timber if you have 20 acres of 8" ash to get out in the next 5 years a processor makes sense. If you buy in your average 26 tonne wagon of cord, half will be too big and 1/4 will be too small to be efficent through a processor. A safe guarded saw bench with conveyor for £1500 will handle 3" sticks, processor size stuff and billets leaving plenty of money for a decent splitter.