unimog three point linkage

carlos

hi our three point linkage on a unimog u1500 has broke. its one of the hydrulic rams the actual ram shaft has cracked of where its attached to lift mechanism,this has happend three times over the space of a few years. we have just had a new shaft fitted each time.has any one else had this problem or could suggest any thing..oh we have a green mech pto chipper on the back all of the time thanks carl.

never had a mog but used to have problems with tractor linkage as chipper very heavy for driving on the roads in the state here in with speed humps and pot holes everywhere we had a load compensator fitted which takes all the shock out same as on a loader never had any probs after

The device in question is a damper. It’s a cylinder of inert gas under pressure that allows a load on the linkage to “float”. This means that as the vehicle hits a bump on the road the arms move and take some of the sting out of it for the linkage.

If you can’t find a Mog unit they are plentiful in the agricultural world. They are on tractor linkages, loaders and side arm flails among others. If you get stuck I have a used one you can have FOC but you will need to get it picked up.

Fitting is simple enough. I can give you DIY instructions or any agricultural engineer/hydraulic engineer will do it for you.

Andy

hi andy thanks for the explination on the dampener and the offer of one thanks although we are in ireland so might be tricky. how do you stop the ram from taking the full shock? as we switch the hydrulics over to the tipper ram when we drive ( so chipper dosent drop down in transit)thanks again carl.p.s took ram off and its in repair shop so should be back in action soon !

I would need to look at the system you have to give a definitive answer. Most have been altered or in the technical vernacular “messed about with”.

Follow the pipe back from one of the rams to the tee union that divides the feed to the two rams. Follow this back along the pressure side, i.e. not towards the other ram. In this pipe you need to fit another “tee” and come off the newly created spare with a pipe of the same size. This pipe passes through an isolation valve and terminates at the damper. With the damper suitably gas charged the linkage will float. If for some reason you don’t want it to float simply close the isolation valve

Andy

thanks for the discription of how to fit the load damper, sounds like not too big a job.i fitted the new ram today, i noticed the attachment end was pinched slightly so was a very tight fit so got that opened a bit so bit more side ways play.also noticed that the link arms wernt dead level so hopefully with those things adjusted it might not break again.thanks for the help carl

• 3 years later...

I have run mogs for 20 years and never broke a arm but i do know if they have been of at some point and put back on out of line when you pick them up one will try and force the other past the stop so check that. as for letting it ride on a damper i would not as it should be solid so surspension take in shock thats why mogs do not if them.