MS880 problem

Blackbriarwoods

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There appears to be a couple of clamps held in place with a spring, not seen anything like this before but would think the exhaust should come off reasonably easy:001_rolleyes:

You are correct. The OP's saw will have this configuration. For interest MS880 saws were modified at the beginning of 2009 such that they now have the more "traditional" screw on type muffler.

The air filters are not great on most stihls, IMO, as there is always crap around the carb inlet caused by gaps in the seating.

I can understand the fine stuff getting through. To stop it you'd need a paper filter that wouldn't last five minutes in the field and would require so much energy to pull the air through the small saws wouldn't run.

Stihl have had numerous problems with filters in the past but as of late have got there act together.

If you have a green filter on a 066/MS660,088/MS880 etc you should change it to a HD filter which is black or black and silver (HD and HD2). Stihl now factory install HD filters. Also check to ensure that the nut is not bottoming out before you have a good seal. Another good idea is to make yourself a thin rubber gasket to go between the nut and the filter to stop dust getting through there.

A properly maintained HD filter should be able to keep out fines. With regards to paper element filters, I don't think you would be dissapointed with the new HD2 filter. BTW a bigger saw has more of a problem with restrictive air filters than smaller ones, due to the increased volume of air that must pass through the same size filter in roughly the same time (if using the same filter).

Had this problem was scored piston and pot i think it was old fuel not sure tbh, but the pot is 300-400 and the piston is 80-100 ouch no patent parts so im sticking with a 660 :)

Aftermarket versions of 088/MS880/084 pistons are available (I don't believe the "new" MS880 piston is though). However, I believe OEM pistons for these models have a steel disc at the top of the piston to prevent melting a hole in the crown. I have been told before that aftermarket ones do not have this. Some may do but I wouldn't take the risk if you want a saw you know you can rely on.

Many thanks for all the suggestions, I should have a day soon to do some maintenance in the shed, so will have a look then.

It's a 2008 model and had done a fair bit of work before I got it, stripped it down as much as I dared when it arrived and cleaned everything, as has been said I've never had it happen on any of the other saws before.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the exhaust off today, piston looks scored (certainly not smooth) and the rings look to be worn, but not evenly over the small area I can see.

Is it safe to say that piston and cylinder would best be replaced (not had the cylinder off and can't see into it to see what damage is there) rather than just the piston?

Is it a job only for the professional or a do-able one for me?

Thanks peeps

Had the exhaust off today, piston looks scored (certainly not smooth) and the rings look to be worn, but not evenly over the small area I can see.

Is it safe to say that piston and cylinder would best be replaced (not had the cylinder off and can't see into it to see what damage is there) rather than just the piston?

Is it a job only for the professional or a do-able one for me?

Thanks peeps

Firstly you need to understand what has gone wrong with the saw to cause the seizure - common causes are old fuel or air leak, if you don't do this, you risk damaging the new P&C, fitting the new P&C is relatively easy for anyone who has had engineering or mechanical experience - for the novice it may be asking too much - very easy to not get the circlips fitted correctly or struggle with getting the pot over the rings.

The cylinder may be salvageable and a new piston fitted but if this isn't possible, a new OEM P&C is very expensive and don't believe an aftermarket one is available.:thumbdown:

I can look at it or just send the cylinder down if you can get it off.

Many thanks Spud, for the advice and the offer. I looked for the OEM replacement bits and think it was about £400, just for parts (p&c).

The saw was second hand (2007 model bought 2009) since which I've never had old fuel in there, it had been worked hard by the previous owner judging by the state of it when I got it home.

I can do repairs up to a decent level, but think I'd better get someone who knows what they're doing to repair it. Although not sure weather to repair or replace (if I can find a decent second hand saw or good price on a new one) and sell on this one, I assume it has a value even as a non runner?

Personally I would buy a new one and either sell this one to offset the cost or keep for spares.

The 880 is a good saw but I'm not convinced that any of Stihls saws go on for more than a few years. Up to 2 years - usually no problems. After this then you tend to get niggles i.e. not idling, not starting....

Yet there are still plenty of the older style saws all the 024, 088 etc that still go on for years.

Think that's what I'm going to do Rob. I bought it for a specific job (which it did and more since) but have some more large work coming up so need it fully sorted or a new unit.

Not sure if I'll keep it for spares or sell on, depends what price I can get offered for it.

Anybody got a rough idea of it's value as a non runner/spares only saw?

Actually....

Just seen this on ebay...

PISTON ASSEMBLY COMPATIBLE WITH STIHL 084 088 MS880 | eBay

For that money has to be worth a crack. Perhaps ask someone like spudulike how much it would be to fit.

I know you can get the pistons - the cylinders are like rocking horse poo:thumbdown: I am sure I can get it running though it is the condition of the bore that would be in question - I may be able to salvage the cylinder but would need to take a look at it to give a valid opinion.

If you want a price then PM me!