Knocking from steering in P (96)reg 110

Matthew Arnold

I have noticed that in my dad and i's 110 there is a knocking coming from the steering. The bushes and bearings are all OK. The UJ's have some play but nothing more than normal. The knocking sounds and feels like it is coming from the steering wheel or just behind it. It only does it at slow speeds too (especially when driving down roughish tracks). Any idea what it would be as our main garage is stumped by it?

You have checked or replaced the uj on the steering collum linkage,about half way between the bulkhead & the steering box,the joint there can be loose on the splines or defective in itself,and not show signs of such,always worth a look,had a similar problem on two landy's & that was it did not show as defective until I replaced ,and they are an easy fit,cheap too.

So if you are chasing this fault to no avail its worth fitting a new one as part of the elimination process.:biggrin:

Sent from my laptop after a skinfull.:001_rolleyes::biggrin:

You have checked or replaced the uj on the steering collum linkage,about half way between the bulkhead & the steering box,the joint there can be loose on the splines or defective in itself,and not show signs of such,always worth a look,had a similar problem on two landy's & that was it did not show as defective until I replaced ,and they are an easy fit,cheap too.

So if you are chasing this fault to no avail its worth fitting a new one as part of the elimination process.:biggrin:

Will be checking that tomorrow whilst listening to the cricket. got a trolley jack and 2 massive lumps of oak to use as axle stands:lol:

it could still be the bushes when at a standstill it is hard to find a fault , the best way i find to check bushes is place rig on level ground hand brack of go to the front corner say drivers side grab the bumber and push side to side good pushes and get it rocking you will hear any bush proplems , do it on every corner , and yes the steering uj is a good thing to check as geoff said, you can test by holding the steering colum in the engine bay and get someone to move the steering wheel

Yep,true about the bushes,that steering uj can be a nightmare sometimes to diagnose,I would replace it & see if it helps,they are an easy fit,& dont cost much.

Slap some copper ease grease on the splines when fitting one after cleaning the splines with a stiff brush,going up & down the splines to realy make sure you are metal to metal.

Sounds like bushes, change the lot and forget the standard rubber ones, go for polyurethane. They cost more but they are way easier to fit, particularly if you are a DIY’er and don’t have the means to press the standard rubber ones in.

You will also be pleasantly surprised by the difference in handling.

HI matte yes mate we had the uj on the steering thanks jon :thumbup:

Sounds like bushes, change the lot and forget the standard rubber ones, go for polyurethane. They cost more but they are way easier to fit, particularly if you are a DIY’er and don’t have the means to press the standard rubber ones in.

You will also be pleasantly surprised by the difference in handling.

Sorry, but i 110% disagree with this. IME poly bushes do two things- make money for polybush, and eventually wreck the metal they are mounted in, whilst costing a load more.:001_smile: