compact tractor

transit

We have an old kubota 8200 hst with a loader great little thing that does everything i ask of it . Thinking of changing it soon for something bigger but will stick with kubota. There looked to be some good deals in farm trader in the classifieds ,imo to good to be true but may be worth a look:thumbup:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone got any suggestions for a bigger compact/small conventional tractor of around 50hp ish (other than a holder)? We're throwing some ideas around and one is to replace the little international with something of a similar size but 4wd, bit more ground clearance and get it properly guarded up. Currently we can whiz around in thinnings without too much bother so at the mo small is working well.

Given unlimited funds my compact tractor of choice would be a bi-directional articulated alpine of around 50hp, with lift and pto at both ends, a quick attach loader at the back and oversized forestry tyres. Sadly funds are not unlimited.

going down that route, mine would be the 95hp Carraro - 40k box, 16" ground clearance, reverse drive and no bigger than a 135 - but I'm in the same boat - funds say no.

To be fair the early Japanese and Korean imports - whatever the label on the bonnet - were built for paddy fields and imported for grounds and garden work. Hence comically weak front axles, etc. That's one of the reasons I like Italian small tractors, they're designed to survive being driven by Italians.

It's one of those areas where the more i read the more I confuse myself. At least half the tractor offers have perkins diesels on board, another chunk have kubota engines..so a lot of cross component anyway.

When it comes to secondhand value - some guessing here - a £20K known brand after 5 years drops to about £14K. A Chinese one starting at £12K isn't going to lose more than £6K??? Whereas after ten years I'd guess the Chinese one is pennies and the named brand still £10K. Still the same sort of money loss?

When I read about the manufacturers; even of the chinese one's they've all been around a long time. With the power of the internet I'd have thought even if a British distributor packs it in then parts should be gettable..albeit with hassle?

I'll drive around to local agri guys when the move's done to see what they have...

1970's Kubota's sell for spares or repair at prices greater than what they were new so depreciation (in the long term) can be a avoided if you get a sought after model.

Storage/security has always been our problem so whilst it would be nice to have much more hp we have stuck with tractors that will fit comfortably in a 20ft standard container.

So... a grey fergie was ok but not much functionality so we ended up going for 40+ year old MF 135's which are appreciating if well maintained (and are certainly a better buy than a new MF240 (Mexican???) where the paint and plastic can't seem to hang on to the machine until it gets to the dealer.

We also have a HST Kubota for greenhouse work and grass mowing. We have a PTO pump for driving the log spliter off the Kubota so it can tick over all day whilst the log spliter cycle times are maintained. Works a treat on the 135 internal pump also.

We did have an Iseki which was very a cracker and I understand the new MF compact range is actually badged up Iseki's.

Edited by Marko
Spelling

It's one of those areas where the more i read the more I confuse myself. At least half the tractor offers have perkins diesels on board, another chunk have kubota engines..so a lot of cross component anyway.

When it comes to secondhand value - some guessing here - a £20K known brand after 5 years drops to about £14K. A Chinese one starting at £12K isn't going to lose more than £6K??? Whereas after ten years I'd guess the Chinese one is pennies and the named brand still £10K. Still the same sort of money loss?

When I read about the manufacturers; even of the chinese one's they've all been around a long time. With the power of the internet I'd have thought even if a British distributor packs it in then parts should be gettable..albeit with hassle?

I'll drive around to local agri guys when the move's done to see what they have...

While depreciation is important, reliability is much more important, and believe me, you will regret forking out £12k for a new low quality Chinese tractor which nobody will really want in a few years. £12k will buy you a very nice S/H Kubota etc or a 'big' tractor from the mainstream brands.