Appropriate clothing for the job

Ginja

I'm feeling a bit bad as I felt I had to tell an employee her vest top wasn't appropriate clothing for our job for two reasons:-

1. I'm concerned that her skin is exposed to sun, stings, resins, saps, rough bark etc when working

2. Her cleavage isn't something I want my customers to remember us for (not that I said that). A couple of the customers have commented on her attire and not in a flattering way.

I'm a lass, I wear a climacool base layer that is, er, figure hugging I guess, but my skin is safe, I rarely get snagged on stuff. I have told the lads in the past that vest tops aren't suitable, even if it is really hot weather.

Have I done the right thing?

Am I going to have to insist on company tshirts/uniform to avoid this in future?

Someone make me feel better! lol :confused1:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ginga, You are a Professional and you must expect your employees to dress accordingly. If you do not have a dress code in place as part of your employee manual or hand book for employment get one ASAP, as the immortal Barney Fife would say " you got to Nip it Nip it in the Budd". Any distractions created by your employees attire or dress is not only a reflection upon your company but the same reflection upon you. All the best.

elg

elg is spot on ginja. Not expensive to have matching tee shirts,sweatshirts and hoodys for winter. Looks much more professional from customers perspective from when the initial contact/estimate is done through to the lads working on site. Also you pick up more work and queries from various places as it identifies you as a professional tree surgeon when you are off site.

You are the boss, they are the staff. You make the rules they follow them. Eg, Honda trainee technicians have to wear overalls in the workshop, and a smart shirt and tie and black trousers beneath. I thought it was a wee bit ott when I heard it, but they want the trainees to have a professional smart approach and attitude to every thing they do under the Honda banner.

Staff appearance is important, uniform clothing makes you readily identifiable on site, distinguishes you from other site workers, and looks like you the boss take a pride in everything.

Do you not supply corporate clothes for your employees? If you don't then it's a little unfair to tell them what they can and can't wear. If your female employee isn't bothered about sunburn or getting scratched to buggery, then that's her perogative.

I've never worn anything overly revealing at work, but I have been on site in just sporty crop tops where there has been very little interaction with the public. One company actually supplied corporate vests to all three of us laydees, which were very smart and very practical in hot weather. However, all of us were sensible enough to wear something suitable underneath and we weren't swinging around the trees unfettered! :biggrin:

Supply flourecent vests to be worn at all times about £3 ea. They can wear what they like underneath. They are actually quite useful especially if you have bobcats etc on site you can see people out the corner of your eye and can track their movements about site.