Advertising Logs

Dave Martin

I have placed adverts in glossy mags, done leaflet drops, advertised in local papers, put adverts in shop windows, advertised on the internet, sign written the truck, all to varying degrees of success and often not in line with the cost of each individual method. Word of mouth and customer recommendation have proved very successful What does everyone else think is the best way to advertise firewood?

I've just moved ten mile away from my previous yard and am having to more or less start all over again as I never delivered out this far. No shops round here at all to advertise in, so I have made sure I've presence in all parish magazines, I have made the 2 pubs aware of my firewood business. Website is done and next is sign writting the truck. I also have a few nets of kindling for sale on the drive.

Good luck

I found leaflet drop to all residences within a 3 mile radius worked well. That returned 12% which is very high for a leaflet drop but I do live in a rural area so stoves and fires are the norm. From then on its become word of mouth which thrives so long as the customers like what they get.

• 2 weeks later...

Ad in local paper on weekly basis through year, pick up new customers out of season when people want to fill log stores in summer or run a heating system /cooker etc.

Web site gets good response, good advice: paying to get your site optimised so it gets on 1st page google worth it.

Local parish magazines can be really good, shop windows etc, sign writing, good cards to hand out to people who show interest when they see what great logs you have to sell.

Only sell good dry and seasoned logs, you'll get lots of recommendations!