can anyone tell me the latin name for ...

nuggsy

Why are we still using Latin names for things?

Learning the latin names akes the learning process so much harder, especailly with fungi.

Heathen.

Comments like that just show you have no formal education in you field of work.

Liken it to a parts manual for your MEWP, there are lots of similar looking numbers rather than lists of common descriptive names. Each number is related to one part or family of parts.

The scientific (latin) names are made up of mostly Latin , with Greek, English, and dozens of other languages also.

I sugest you read The secret life of trees by Colin Tudge. It will give you an insight to the subject of Taxonomy.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no formal education but am far from a heathen I assure you :sneaky2:

To me studying the biology of trees is far more important than learning latin names parrot fashion.

Latin names can be referenced.

In my opinion, if you memorised the Latin name for every tree, shrub, plant and fungi you'd have no room left for the IMPORTANT stuff.

I know many common genus, if I need to know species or a Genus I've never come across round here I'll reference it thank you

i had my tutorial on friday past and 1 of my lecturers is going to c abt getting me help with the spelling side of things n stuff as im a wee bit dyslexic (unproven) when it comes to writing

Just a suggestion, I too am dyslexic, I use spell check on my posts, I find it improves my spelling, as I am seeing the correct spelling and where I have gone wrong.

Also makes my posts easier for people to read :001_cool:

Our lecturer would fail us on the test if we didn't write the latin names properly ie: Capital letter for the first letter of genus, lower case for the speices, eg:

Quercus robur

Fagus sylvatica etc.

You might be lucky and have a more lenient lecturer!

Deffinatly when it comes to spelling i.e Fraxinus excelsior...:ohmy:

I have no formal education but am far from a heathen I assure you :sneaky2:

nobody expects you to learn every scientific name. Knowing about the scientific names and their importance is part of the arboriculture package. Just as CODIT , target pruning and aerial rescue are part of the arboriculture package. To dismiss them as a waste of time is to diminish the value of part of your profession.

and to answer your original question

There are plenty of trees and fungi and arboreal diseases that have no "English name" or that have multiple common names. eg. Port Orford Cedar is better known to us as Lawson Cypress. Usage of scientific names is the only sure way to be certain that the exact same species is being discussed.