can anyone tell me the latin name for ...

nuggsy

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example - Say Prunus avium is recoded to PH5N1 (incidentally try telling your client that's what its called!)

Whereas if I type Pruns avum you'll be fine.

Thats what you think tell him its a big tree or a small tree and he might manage

There you go you see what a nightmare I'm having!! :001_tongue:

:) most words can be traced back to latin or greek, as they both were one of the original languages in the old old old days.

whats important is that as professionals we know that there is room for both common and latin names-you dont want to alienate customers by always using latin - they lust want that big oaky type tree cutting, if you turn round and say i recommend a 20%crown reduction, crown clean, and raise on your Quercus robur, many will say

'WTF?!? can you tell me that in english please? oh you mean a short back and sides'

but on a professional level, using latin-where relevant can prevent confusion, as your being more specific.

in reply to your previous posts dean, re making things simpler to understand, common names are a new simpler way of catogrising trees-instead of the Quercus taxonomic genus, we have Oak family, instead of ilex as the taxonomic species, we have holly, holme or evergreen oak - but thats 3 names for one tree! ARRRHGGGHHH a 3rd way of clasification would be even more confusing! :scared1:

just tag every tree :P

The easiest way of explaining what I mean is, renaming or shortening can be easier and once it's got used to everybody will understand like this:

CO2

O2

H2O

H

Cu

Most of us, with no training can recognise the above, all I am saying is there could be a "periodic table" for trees.

Tony mentioned typo mistakes on shortened words could be catastrophic? No more catostrophic than what could happen with metals and chemicals and it doesn't happen often.

I know I'm not the best at explaining myself but the periodic table is the closest example to what I mean. The common ones will be identifiable to anyone without reference but will need to look up more complex stuff