touchy subject

David Goss

this is not a thread i would normally get involved with like many others im used to the press reporting sensationalist rubbish with the only motivation to sell paper,

however after reading that the thread may or may not have been deleted on the basis of one persons opinion it reminds us of the power of media and censorship

kinda like a super mega rupert murdoch thing

imagine if he had a big red button!!

terry

I couldnt agree more tbh.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its a shame that she couldnt be helped and i feel sorry for her family but putting it in the media the way they have just makes it normal , although i dont know the problems of stars or the pressures they might be under showing that this is how you react when you cant hack it isnt the right message to be put across imo . and im sure there are more interesting things that might be going on in the world that could still sell papers, ive just come across this :confused1:FalunInfo.net - The Official Source on Falun Gong and the Human Rights Crisis in China i have never heard of this until now can this really be true ?

The news I saw over the weeekend had norway first, and then 'now for the rest of the weekends news' She was a good singer, probably a good laugh to be around, as probably were most of the people in norway, and the soldiers we support. I personally think that due to the described nature of norwegian people, they will probably not want the global media intrusion.

One thing that became apparent from my observation and from listening to the norwegian people is that they do not do the whole media hype thing, the british media kind of gloat at tradegy, or maybe a proportion of the whole facebook generation/society thrive on doom and the media either fed or feed it.

So the norway thing because of the manner in which the people do not air their dirty laundry in public, will quickly lose media attention, as it will not be gory enough in its content, and witness statements etc.

As for death of soldiers, then that opens up a can of worms, by the apparent cover ups that have taken place by governments throughout the world, and an apparent exposure of involvement of key figures in the news international saga, to what extent are papers governed by the govt, and so as to not stir up the public discontent of war, are the papers on a proof read type system.

Heres a question, we all think we get to make choices, but is it the items/options set by government that truly depict our choices, do they make our decisions by deciding what we see, hear, buy etc. (thread in itself me thinks)

Someone said to me that american people; not so much now because of the internet, were guarded and protected from the real world by there media, to an alarming level of protection. The media is a woodchipper, its as productive or destructive based on how and who feeds it. lol.

Either way some bloke just lost his daughter, hundreds have lost their children, and a child has just lost the chance of seeing their dad. when you look at it like that how can you begin to put it into realms of importance.

I personally would not wish to put them in order of importance, if I was stood in fromnt of the grieving family and friends.

Just wanting to voice my opinion on something that is in my mind not right.

Lately we have been hearing constantly about winehouse dying, ok its sad and a waste of talent but she wasted it herself.

This on the other hand is almost unheard of...

Afghanistan: Corporal Mark Anthony Palin, UK Soldier Killed In A Blast, Leaves Behind Pregnant Wife | UK News | Sky News

This for me is just not right. i would rather be hearing about this hero than a junkie singer who has done nothing for any of us.

Please give your comments...

RIP Corporal Mark Anthony Palin my thoughts are with his family.

Couldn't agree more, think we are made to feel that we have to pretend to have apathy for all the dead regardless how bad they where they where living.

I worked for a firm once and the foreman was a complete arse and the majority of workers thought the same. He took a massive heart attack one weekend and died.

The next week everyone was running around for a collection and saying how bad it was that he was dead. I on the other hand i said nothing then i was told that £20 was the going rate for the collection, i never paid into it and i never went to the funeral.

The point is i never liked him when he was alive so why should i have went all soft cause he died.

Thousands die in Africa every year due to malnutrition and bad sanitation we don't even blink an eye.

this is not a thread i would normally get involved with like many others im used to the press reporting sensationalist rubbish with the only motivation to sell paper,

however after reading that the thread may or may not have been deleted on the basis of one persons opinion it reminds us of the power of media and censorship

terry

Surely he had a big red button, is that not the whole point David is trying to make ?

terry

This is an arborist forum with the added bonus of a few off topic areas for the regular members entertainment. 9 times out of 10 if there's a contentious thread running it will be in the lounge area. These are nearly always deleted, not because of your ridiculous suggestion of censorship but to keep the focus of this forum where it's meant to be...ARB!

I'm afraid we have a different opinion of what defines censorship

i want to delete this thread right now tbh, my reasons are the title, it is not a touchy subject, you have slagged off a girl who has just lost her life.:thumbdown: You have branded her ' junkie ' and you didn't have the decency to call he by her first name.

So what is your actual arguement here?:confused1:

This is an arborist forum with the added bonus of a few off topic areas for the regular members entertainment. 9 times out of 10 if there's a contentious thread running it will be in the lounge area. These are nearly always deleted, not because of your ridiculous suggestion of censorship but to keep the focus of this forum where it's meant to be...ARB!

I'm afraid we have a different opinion of what defines censorship

I for one dont believe that there is censorship of any kind here Steve, but the minute I read Stephens post above, it did strike me that he was threatening to delete a thread because he didnt share the opinion of the OP, not because it was against forum rules or non arb related etc.