trees planted on coal tip sites

• 1 month later...

I have planted coal tip sites all over South Yorkshire including Silverwood, Goldthorpe, Grimethorpe. Generally the sites have had paper, lime and sludge incorporated to form a soil to plant into. We plant with Alder, rowan, ash, birch, aspen, bird cherry, hawthorne, hazel, goat willow, poplar. They are planted as amenity woodlands and so there is no long term plan to manage them commercially. We have planted some areas at Grimethorpe for commercial forestry but the areas had about a foot of topsoil spread over them.

They are very susceptible in dry conditions with loses around 40% not unheard of. Best species in my experience on very poor soil have been rowan, birch, alder, poplar. There are some compartments at Barnburgh that have been in for ten years and they can start to get windblown. The sites are ripped with D6's but even so the ground is very compacted.

Generally i have to say there is no short cuts on these sites. There is one compartment at Silverwood with good soil that has Six year old ash that are 10ft plus, then you have an identical compartment planted at the same time with poor soil that has trees struggling to get above head height.

We plant with br 40-60 stock although Grimethorpe has had 9000 s/pine in 2 litre pots!

Hope this helps in some way? I have a colleague who plans the sites if you would like his details i can forward them to you?

coal tip sites ... rowan, alder, birch, aspen, bird cherry, hawthorne, goat willow, poplar. Best species in my experience on very poor soil have been rowan, birch, alder, poplar.

In The Netherlands, we have the same experience with the same species of pioneer trees, which spread by wind or birds, and without further measures or management easily colonize coal tip sites, which have been left behind bare and unplanted for a while.

Dutch jays are gay??

No, Rosy starlings (Sturnus roseus) are :001_tt2: .

The UKTC website has a lot on this in the archives

"The UKTC website has a lot on this in the archives"

have had a look in the archives - cant find anything relevant - what did you type in to find?

many thanks

Oh boy, This lot gave me a chuckle:lol:

Iain H. - thanks yes if he wont mind you passing his details over that would be good.

The site isnt helped in that its very steep and exposed - many trees have suffered from drought and the windblow is getting worse. - probably due to the the block to the north having been felled in the last couple of years.

on the edge of the tip is sitka - which is doing well though it looks like it missed out on its last thin.