Arb Aid Trauma kit

Andy Collins

Current first aid training products are not designed to meet the needs of a small industry like ours. End of story, full stop.

As Pete McTree said, First Responder training is what is required. Coupled with regular un-planned training at the work site and what more can you do than that.

I honestly can't see how any business small or large cannot justify a days money for two men to have a decent sized kit in the business.

Now I am aware, we shall be getting one. I have lost count of the number of green boxes that have been ruined over the years.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like thge idea of a smaller kit thats cheaper, i am employed full time but still think it would be a good idea for weekend logging and hobbies in remote areas,

My mother in law is a paramedic and when I talk to her about what we do at work and where we do it reality sinks in that we are often a fair few hundred meters off the beaten track in the middle of nowhere and we are kidding ourselves that we'll be responded to within 8-10mins. She also mentions that Celox isn't approved but at the end of the day if it keeps you or your mate alive use the bugger was her advice,

One of my biggest bug bears with my employer who is a national government agency that preaches H&S is that we only do a basic one day first aid refresher every 3 years. I was lucky that with previous employers i have done both 4 day courses and ABC response courses and even though both have lapsed I'd still use what I learnt if I needed to!

I do struggle with first aid training though! the scenario Andy mentions of a nice warm training room gory pics of wounds etc nearly always makes me feel faint as I am incredibly sqeumish, however when I had to deal with the real mcCoy of a serious head injury from an 066 a few yrs ago it was amazing how adrenalin kicks in and the training comes flooding back!

• 1 month later...
If I had the cash spare/size of team to justify I would. But I don't. Would be interested in a demo/talk/seminar though.

Well, to bring back a thread from the dead. Today Greg from arbaid came to talk about the kit. I was very impressed, to the point that if I was still "properly" cutting rather than doing management then I would have one, even for just me. If nothing else he showed me how ineffective Celox granules would be!

£300 is a good night out and bit, definatly worth it.

Sam

Edited by Sam Thompson
I remembered his name!

The best training I had was from the army, covered everything. I always go out with a good kit and some Iv lines and bags, just coz Im trained to put the line in.

I also carry some smoke signals and flares, always helps if a helo has to be called in, never had that happen yet and touch wood it doesn't need to happen, but prior planning and prep prevents pee poor performance.

Will have to look into our kits and see if there is anything that needs updating or out of date that need binning, will have to add it to the todo list.

You can buy Explorer Cases (same as Pelican cases) from SAM Cases, in a good first aid kit size size (305x270x194m) for just over £50. Then stock it up with all you want for not too much money.

The idea of arb specific first aid training is good though. Just be careful that it doesn't become a money making venture that ends up as a pre-requisite for work though!

The idea of arb specific first aid training is good though. Just be careful that it doesn't become a money making venture that ends up as a pre-requisite for work though!

why shouldnt it be a pre-requisite? the standard issue kits and training are not enough to deal with the scenario mentioned above!