Friction hitches etc?

William Tarbet

I also climb on a hitch climber with VT which I find better than the last hitch I used with it(the standard one that came with the instructions). It can be unerving waiting for the hitch to bite though, especially if you haven't dressed it properly or it's loosened itself on decent ascent. I also got shown how to double up the rope through a roller carabina which makes things a heap easier hauling my backside up a tree. Now I've been looking at the spiderjack and lockjack but opinions seem to be varied as to their efficiency. Got talking yesterday on a job with a guy I worked with donkey's years ago. We couldn't believe how far advanced the gear had become from when we used to issue the guys with 3 strand climbing line and a 3 strand prussic that you could never undo once it had tightened up in the rain. Hip thrusting up a tree on one of those was an experience.

prefer my own version of the knut, works a treat, similar to the knut (with hitchclimber), see knot guide, and it works well in the wet too

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

I agree, Knut it's great for self tending too if set right.

Have a play round see what suits you!

learn as many as possible, and try them out, its also good to be able to tie a variety for different purposes and depending on what kit you have, the prussic is classic and is always good to know as is knowing how to tie a whole system just using one rope, even when move away from the basics its these basics that you can always fall back on to get you out of a tricky spot.

learn as many as possible, and try them out, its also good to be able to tie a variety for different purposes and depending on what kit you have, the prussic is classic and is always good to know as is knowing how to tie a whole system just using one rope, even when move away from the basics its these basics that you can always fall back on to get you out of a tricky spot.

well said:thumbup1: not so long ago i needed to use the tail of my rope to make a second (long) strop so i tied a bowline with a long tail and with the tail tied a blakes for the friction hitch. Had to do that many times and is very helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers for the advice fellas.

It's been great fun trying the various knot set ups on here.

Even though I can't use a chain saw up there yet, it's still a lovely place to be just hanging out of a tree. Done a couple of small jobs, dead wooding oaks with me silky and I reckon the Blakes Hitch will work well for me, but definitely gunna keep experimenting.

Take care

Will

Cheers for the advice fellas.

It's been great fun trying the various knot set ups on here.

Even though I can't use a chain saw up there yet, it's still a lovely place to be just hanging out of a tree. Done a couple of small jobs, dead wooding oaks with me silky and I reckon the Blakes Hitch will work well for me, but definitely gunna keep experimenting.

Take care

Will

Good man:thumbup:

Good luck and keep safe:biggrin:

I started with a prussik, then went to a Blakes hitch,and still use that depending on what I'm doing, if it's a big tree with plenty of branch walks, i'll use a hitch climber with a vt, or French prussik, get a good book and practice with a length of rope when your sat doing nout, I used to get tortured for it but waiten see who people come to when they don't know how to tie something or rigg something up!! .

Take it easy