Herbicide Application Rates and re application

Mike Hill

What is the reccomended Ration of Round up Ultra to water for killing the regrowth of Willow Saplings etc.These are mini stumps that regrow each Spring and are one half to one inch accross.

I was told a ration of 1/7parts water was ok.Sounds a bit light to me.Using a backpack sprayer.

Also the contract requires us to reapply the Chemical twice a Summer.Would reapplying it for example three days later,be as effective as reapplying it one month later?Reason is that good weather for Spraying is rare here,

What's the active ingredient? If it's glyphosate at 360ish g/l then 500ml for a 16l 4 gal knapsack is how we applied it. A higher rate of glyphosate in the concentrate, I think a higher rate glyph is in the 500-600g/l range, can't remember exactly. We used 300ml of that per knapsack. It's application rate is about 5l/hectare

1/7 parts water would be 2.2l of chem in a knapsack which is a LOT and is an illegal amount afaik. with regards to runoff and leaching into watercourses. Glyph isn't super dangerous to us ground dwellers but fishies don't like it!

I would recommend doubling what I mentioned here, 1l for lower rate and 600ml for higher rate glyph.

Hope that's some help

I generally apply Glyphosate ( the active ingredient in Roundup & manufactured under licence by over 40 companies) at the mixed rate of 100ml to 5L water, so 320ml in a 16L knapsack.

Applying stronger has a negative effect in that it can scorch the leaves before the chemical is properly absorbed by the plant. When my neighbour (who believes in more than doubling the dose) treats the weeds on his drive, they turn yellow within 24 hours & then, because the roots aren't dead, re-grow in a couple of weeks.

Re-application should not take place until fresh growth is seen.

Most sites I look after are sprayed about 3 times a year, more if it's wet & warm, less if it's very dry like this year.

For glyphosate 360g/l

10% (1:10) (Deciduous species) 20% (1:5) (Coniferous species) is ok for spot spraying on stumps and coppice regrowth & either 1:2 or 1:1 for Weed wiper application.

As for general spraying it will depend on the spray nozzle you use as to the concentration, e.g. if you wish to spray an effective e.g. 4L/ha with a 200L/ha nozzle you would use 40ml per 2L of water, if you were using a 100L/ha nozzle you would use 80ml per 2L of water and half the total amount of water to treat the same area at the same 4L/ha effective dose.

So saying use xyz dose without enquiring as to what nozzle rate is being used is a bit silly, but then what do I know after all I don’t have any PA# qualifications! :laugh1:

But as always refer to the instructions of your sprayer, nozzle and the herbicide.

1/7 parts water would be 2.2l of chem in a knapsack which is a LOT and is an illegal amount afaik.

Applying stronger has a negative effect in that it can scorch the leaves before the chemical is properly absorbed by the plant. When my neighbour (who believes in more than doubling the dose) treats the weeds on his drive, they turn yellow within 24 hours & then, because the roots aren't dead, re-grow in a couple of weeks.

For glyphosate 360g/l

10% (1:10) (Deciduous species) 20% (1:5) (Coniferous species) is ok for spot spraying on stumps and coppice regrowth & either 1:2 or 1:1 for Weed wiper application.

Hopefully that's cleared it up for you.:thumbup1::laugh1:

All I know is I use 100ml to 1 litre of water when treating stumps and no one has ever called me back to re poison which we state we will do few of charge if required.

All good information everyone,thanks for that! The site is concerned with the ammount of regrowth evident each year,thats to be expected with an area that is comprised of cleared forests that are now Fallow Feilds that experience no Grazing apart from the odd very lost Deer.

Am i right in reading this as you are foliar spraying willow regen from small stumps? or are you treating the stump directly?

Foliar Spraying Willow/Birch/Broad Leaf regrowth.Some of it was felled years ago.

The Chemical has 388mg of Glyphosphate per liter,I think.

just as an idea, and this is how i have done it on wetland sites doing scrub clearance, fell it using a clearing saw which should blitz through what you have described, then either treat the stumps directly or using an auger bit drill a well into the stump and pour a 20% mixture into the wells. I know this may seem a bit slow but if you have 3 people, one on the clearing saw, one drilling and one stump treating you can cover a large area in a day. Also you should get a very high kill rate even in wetland conditions.

I wouldnt even entertain folair spraying of willow on wetland sites,

NB the drilling a well with an auger is now the EA's prefered method for stump treatment on wetland sites over here.