Has anyone noticed.........

Has anyone noticed....on one of Rupe's videos (Ash dismantle, I think) the use of a long strop and a large ring when he's balancing limbs off the tree?

I want to know:

1. what size is is the ring?

2. What diameter and type is the lowering rope?

3. How long is the sling?

Hopefully Rupe will be kind enough to oblige.

I thought that's quite an inspired piece of rigging technique and a cheap, effective setup.

I do something similar but it involves more knot tying, more hassle, more effort and much more time. Not similar at all then actually.

So I'm also wondering, does any one else use a similar setup to Rupe's? I'd certainly be interested in good explanations or photos or video.

I bet there's more guys on here that could benefit from this, I know I will be.

i tend to do a bit of this and i made my system up out of old bits of gear hanging about i use a 5m12mm rigging line with a op i2i 8mmsling tied as a 3 wrap prussic in a biner with a small pulley behind it the same asa lanyard and then when i rig i tie off the main line then do a alpine butterfly somewhere around where the middle of the triangle should be and then tie off the short rope on the other end and then put the biner in the butterfly and one hand tension works well not sure about rupes though like i said i just made it up but works well lots of stuff about over use of gear though when you look into it but it is quite simple try looking for balancers on here i remember a old thread on here with a excellent example of over over using gear. any q's just ask. hope it helps.

What have i done now?

I did some stuff with a ring on the big beech dismantle but it was just experimental really, is that what you mean?

This one...?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnWt8dt-dUY]‪rigging method 2.wmv‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

THats not the clip Rupe but it may be the same tree job. You were using that kit but a longer sling.

Anyway, now I've seen that I realise it looks like a large DMM ring, that I could have bought at the show yesterday.

I'm just looking for different systems as I don't know if mine is the most efficient.

I usually tie the lowering rope to the limb then an Alpine butterfly a couple or few feet up. Then a steel Krab on the butterfly with a long sling onto the branch to create the triangle.

That explanation makes sence to me anyway. Gibbon and Deerman are using a length of 14mm where I use a sling, so the same system really.

What have i done now?

I did some stuff with a ring on the big beech dismantle but it was just experimental really, is that what you mean?

This one...?

Thats;

1) Very Clever

2) Very simple to add into the system

3) Looks pretty efficient

Nice work Rupe:thumbup1:

What have i done now?

This one...?

Why use the ring? why not clip direct to the krab?

@Brett

Good question.

However, in the clip i originally saw that I can't find now, it showed Rupe using the ring as a kind of adjuster. It looked as though he could adjust the angles of the triangle by sliding the ring up or down.

It looked as if by simply sliding the ring you could have the branch horizontal as it came off the tree or tips down/up. What ever is necessary.