Big cedar drops limb onto play group!

benedmonds

every tree has a possiblility of droping a limb at any time no matter how much you look after, reduce etc they are unpredictable. so if we fell every tree that has shed a limb and is within falling distance of a building or busy area we will fell alomost every tree. ive had enough of all this covering people in cotton wool trying to take away every possible way imaginable of some one getting injured or killed. its part of life that tragic acidents will happen.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pics don't show the damaged side of the tree. It now has a number of large limbs that are now exposed to the wind and if they fail could hit the playground.

It is a fantastic tree and if not sat in above an area with high occupancy, valuble targets then my recomendations would be different. But it is a big old cedar that has dropped one limb and likely to drop more.

every tree has a possiblility of droping a limb at any time no matter how much you look after, reduce etc they are unpredictable. so if we fell every tree that has shed a limb and is within falling distance of a building or busy area we will fell alomost every tree. ive had enough of all this covering people in cotton wool trying to take away every possible way imaginable of some one getting injured or killed. its part of life that tragic acidents will happen.

Very true up to a certain point, I hate the fact that we all have to be wrapped in cotton wool these days for fear of anything happening. In light of what has happened and the description of the tree now then it may be the best option to fell but not being there to see it makes it almost impossible to call. These things are unpredictable but there is also a lot of situations that ARE predictable and those are the ones that need acting on. If Benedmonds called a fell then maybe thats what should be done as he has seen the tree first hand, we cant just say no because we like the look of it. I do however think that "fell it" is called far too often and needs to be looked into. The problem i see is that those people with the responsibility would rather take the flak for felling a tree than the flak for the death of a person, rightly so but also i think its not right that this IS the situation. Seems we are stuck in a catch 22 situation at the moment and i for one dont know how to stop it.

Very true up to a certain point, I hate the fact that we all have to be wrapped in cotton wool these days for fear of anything happening. In light of what has happened and the description of the tree now then it may be the best option to fell but not being there to see it makes it almost impossible to call. These things are unpredictable but there is also a lot of situations that ARE predictable and those are the ones that need acting on. If Benedmonds called a fell then maybe thats what should be done as he has seen the tree first hand, we cant just say no because we like the look of it. I do however think that "fell it" is called far too often and needs to be looked into. The problem i see is that those people with the responsibility would rather take the flak for felling a tree than the flak for the death of a person, rightly so but also i think its not right that this IS the situation. Seems we are stuck in a catch 22 situation at the moment and i for one dont know how to stop it.

If removing even the possibility of children being injured or killed is wrapping them in cotton wool, then wrap away, of course tree officers would rather take the flak for a felled tree than someone dead, when they retire they won't

say "oh well only one person killed by an iffy tree! everyone makes mistakes"

[/b]

If removing even the possibility of children being injured or killed is wrapping them in cotton wool, then wrap away, of course tree officers would rather take the flak for a felled tree than someone dead, when they retire they won't

say "oh well only one person killed by an iffy tree! everyone makes mistakes"

I understand that perfectly but the point is we are increasingly becoming a nation of pussys, scared of our own shadow and terrified that something will happen. The fact is that accidents do happen but where does the wrapping stop? next we will have to put on body armour and a helmet just to step off the pavement, or do we do away with pavements just in case someone falls off it! I just think we need to draw a line and say ok enough is enough now things are getting silly, which they are on many fronts. Anyway thats another argument and should be made elsewhere. Sorry for the slight derailment.

I understand that perfectly but the point is we are increasingly becoming a nation of pussys, scared of our own shadow and terrified that something will happen. The fact is that accidents do happen but where does the wrapping stop? next we will have to put on body armour and a helmet just to step off the pavement, or do we do away with pavements just in case someone falls off it! I just think we need to draw a line and say ok enough is enough now things are getting silly, which they are on many fronts. Anyway thats another argument and should be made elsewhere. Sorry for the slight derailment.

Would be cool if we were all walking around in body armour!

mad max anyone?