90m tall rainforest canopy . . .what gear would you use?

sjarthur

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a uni would seem like the perfect device for a lot of this work, but i does have a major problem when working at heights as great as this. once you reach 40m or so of the ground and change over to descent you have virtually no control!! the weight of the rope below is great enough to hold the top lever down and throw you into a free fall!! really interesting when that happens i assure you!

for ascent and drt its a great idea!

i'm currently using a a tree frog style system with a shunt as a back up, but im experimenting with the rope rocket system to see how that works out.

any other srt systems you like?

Rope rocket is cool :thumbup: I can see what you are saying about the uni.. Could you not use the squeeze mode rather than the wrap? I don't know how good the control would be then:confused1: Awesome photos:biggrin:

That's a huge Cicada. Great opportunity you have. Is it paid or do they just pay costs? How long do you stay away?

Cross bow works ok but there the power isn't variable enough, only ok if you can bounce it off a higher branch

Edited by gibbon

Have a look here Victorian Tree Industry Organisation for SRT techniques the rope walker looks good but I haven`t tried it. The tree frog works best for me thou.

The current system we use is based around IRATA techniques; we always have two ropes going up into the canopy, the first person up sets them over separate top anchors. We use a similar system to the tree frog but with a second attachment to the second line with a shunt. It’s important that what ever system we use it is possible to be rescued from both ascent and descent with out to much complication.

I’ve been experimenting with the rope rocket system and it’s real nice. Not to much spare gear once you get to the top either.

The current system we use is based around IRATA techniques; we always have two ropes going up into the canopy, the first person up sets them over separate top anchors. We use a similar system to the tree frog but with a second attachment to the second line with a shunt. It’s important that what ever system we use it is possible to be rescued from both ascent and descent with out to much complication.

I’ve been experimenting with the rope rocket system and it’s real nice. Not to much spare gear once you get to the top either.

Also love to climb huge trees, 91m biggest but most amazing was 81m, purely for self research :biggrin:. i use the Rocket system but we changed the way the bungee works. all equipment needed is in this Pic and once you get too top, just need to take of mini traxtion and left foot ascender and right foot ascender.

Hope that helps and simplify things

Cheers MOG

DSC00102.jpg.16196f178f1f98b97f0d425a7d029a3c.jpg

Edited by MOG

Also love to climb huge trees, 91m biggest but most amazing was 81m, purely for self research :biggrin:. i use the Rocket system but we changed the way the bungee works. all equipment needed is in this Pic and once you get too top, just need to take of mini traxtion and left foot ascender and right foot ascender.

Hope that helps and simplify things

Cheers MOG

hey MOG

Where were these massive trees? That setup looks good, how exactly does the elastic attach into it all? Any chance of a photo of it all setup on a rope and harness?

hey MOG

Where were these massive trees? That setup looks good, how exactly does the elastic attach into it all? Any chance of a photo of it all setup on a rope and harness?

trees are in Victoria, Australia and Western Australia. Looking at going to Tassy very big ones they 95m+ :biggrin: havent got gear with me tonite but i get something up soon.

Pretty simple tho, set rocket system up as normal. put elastic clip bit to your bineer which attaches to your mini traxtion and yourself. and the rest is all the same. Also think Henessey hammock's are the way for staying up there. very light and quick to setup and perfect for planes, walking etc etc.

Cheers MOG

59765d49d28fa_DSCN0672-Version2.jpg.130d958ae1c667b3418b91f0a04da2f2.jpg

DSCN0581.jpg.7825c4f925f4049422a1781455ac915d.jpg