combines

eggsarascal

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

possibly and that is probably right, but if anyone is cutting already and having to dry it they need to hang fire for a bit!! got another 2 months to be throughing red diesel at dryers

There's a few around us who just like to first out there though.

Think its so they can go down the pub and bragg they were the first to finish etc.

Might of cost them a lot more to get it in and dried, but Im sure you know what I mean!:001_rolleyes:

Ben, in your pics did the breakdown stop you mid-cut? My old boss would have gone nuts for not sweeping the bed clear at an end!:blushing:

Nice bit of dust flying in pic 2:thumbup:

Oh, and in pic 1 the reel is in too low:thumbdown:

real was low as straw was still damp and i was struggling to feed in going very slow. was better once things shone up on header and the sun came out, sped up and fed much better.

yeah blockage behind roters, so wacked emergency stop. dont worry i didnt waste anything, went straught through when i started her up again :)

There's a few around us who just like to first out there though.

Think its so they can go down the pub and bragg they were the first to finish etc.

Might of cost them a lot more to get it in and dried, but Im sure you know what I mean!:001_rolleyes:

i no just what u mean!! we generally cut early as we grow some early maturing barley and we put muck on afterwards and like to get a chit to spray off before drilling rape. works very well in our system

real was low as straw was still damp and i was struggling to feed in going very slow. was better once things shone up on header and the sun came out, sped up and fed much better.

yeah blockage behind roters, so wacked emergency stop. dont worry i didnt waste anything, went straught through when i started her up again :)

:thumbup:

i no just what u mean!! we generally cut early as we grow some early maturing barley and we put muck on afterwards and like to get a chit to spray off before drilling rape. works very well in our system

Something satisfying about dosing round up on new chits:thumbup:

Does anyone ever do prop corn nowadays?:confused1:

I think thats a no then!

Years ago,(now I sound like an old fart) many farmers(with livestock) used to start harvesting way before the corn was "fit". It would be brought in at a higher than normal moisture cont. and put in a tower. Around here they were called Boythorp crop stores.

The corn would be blown into the tower and filled as quickly as possible before it started to sweat and go mouldy, as unripe corn usualll does.

The tower would be then sealed airtight and left until the autumn and fed to mainly cattle or sheep.

There were said to be benefits in this almost pickled foodstuff, not found in any other grain, but Im not real sure what they were!

Many of these towers have been taken down now around us, and presumably a more upto date and easier modern way of getting the most nutreints out of corn has taken over.

I must add, I have been out of agric. for over 10 years now so things may have moved on a bit!

I may be wrong egg, but very doubtful any one is cutting tonight, not unless they escaped the rain rest of the area had today and yesterday?

Just spoken to Dave cardy (you may know him) he is out there at the moment getting in turnip seed.