MS441 cylinder head.

Gerbutt

I think I may have the saw in my workshop - got the head off, hole reamed/cleaned, insert and hole degreased and waiting to insert the insert with a smear of JB weld around it, job should be a good one - managed to get some aluminium inserts for greater heat distribution.

If the owner goes by the name of Jude.....it will be ready over the weekend but have agreed to drop it in Tuesday week.

Not the same person chap but ta for the pic, interesting to see it! where are you based?

I think I may have the saw in my workshop - got the head off, hole reamed/cleaned, insert and hole degreased and waiting to insert the insert with a smear of JB weld around it, job should be a good one - managed to get some aluminium inserts for greater heat distribution.

If the owner goes by the name of Jude.....it will be ready over the weekend but have agreed to drop it in Tuesday week.

Is that a time-sert insert(*sp)?

They do look better than the helicoil as they have the shoulder that stops the insert screwing into the thread.

First question - I am based in North Hertfordshire

Second - not a time-sert but similar - this was a last ditch attempt to fix the badly damaged plug thread - helicoils can be ok but heat transfer can be a problem as the helicoil is stainless steel and if they aren't a tight fit, the plug can overheat and melt.

This insert is aluminium so should do the job, if it doesn't it is a new P&C but it looks like it should do - will lock the thing in with a smear of JB weld which will take 500 Farenheit.

I will post more pictures when finished.

The aluminium inserts would be best as they transfer the heat better. The steel ones may melt the plug - had that once on a FS1E Yamaha moped - the end looked like larva!

Was it a 'fizzy' bombing along chin on tank:sneaky2:

I had a T500, split one head overtighting the plug:blushing:

Always a bit carefull with tightening plugs or any into alloy/plastic fixing.

It was a bit like that - another profit making exercise from my brother - purchased it as a MOT failure from a mate and I do the work and then get the MOT and sell at a profit!

The head had been badly helicoiled - got 150Yds down the road and the electode looked like the lit end of a cigar when I took it out - melted and looked like a bit of larva!

Got a new head on it and still made profit - Happy days!

Here is the finished item, not an easy job as the reamer/tap really didn't make a good thread meaning the insert was difficult to screw in but got there in the end it went in and when the JB weld had gone off looks like a solid repair and should get good heat transfer from the tightness of the insert.

P1030380.jpg.73fb2fc8b6c5c1e3cf85a25317a8d9c9.jpg

P1030382.jpg.bbfbfe71ca5e81e2609b7ec9c018ce70.jpg

All back together and running as it should, also found the oiler pinion/worm drive was damaged so will fit a new one and the job will be a good one.:thumbup:

That's spot on bud, bravo:thumbup1: Ta for the advice too.

I decided that I'd be madder than a bucket full of frogs to have a go at it on someones elses saw - he's good enough to give me work so i thought I'd be good enough to not break it for him:001_smile: would defo have a dabble on my own saw though. Found a place that's doing it for £50 so all's good.

Ta again for all advice chaps:thumbup1: