Cutter required west of Edinburgh

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Stu - rates at £11.50 a tonne. You can pretty comfortably average 10 tonne a day, with 8 tonne in the tougher branchy beech, and 12-13 tonne in the sycamore. I did put that fuel is provided, but I was mistaken as it's not!

Hi Brushcutter - I saw that you are heading over there for forwarder training in another thread - it's certainly exciting stuff! We are looking into options for sorting our own extraction, but have reasonable access to an Alstor at present. Anything much bigger would be unsuitable for the stands.

Jonathan

Cool. I'm thinking of picking up a s/h botex 10 trailer and a MB trac. Would that be too big for the stands? I'd like to work all over the country with it. It's going to be the first step to my valtra micro harvester.

If you just spray up what you'd fell anyway it gives an idea what to aim for for less expereinced people and then get to learn the working side felling for you.

I wish i was getting £11.50 a tonne! Im on £9 a tonne on the site im on atm probaly 70%birch and the rest small oak and thats self select aswell which i think slows you down especially me as this is the first site ive self selcted on.

Brush cutter- are you doing that course they had in the forestral journal, the college course in sweden i think that was all forwading and harvesting?

great rates.give david a chance hes keen, mark the trees for him and take £1.00 a ton for the first week or so.one last question what is the daily production of the alstor forwarder in that size tree,also if i was closer i would of applied for the postion

I wish i was getting £11.50 a tonne! Im on £9 a tonne on the site im on atm probaly 70%birch and the rest small oak and thats self select aswell which i think slows you down especially me as this is the first site ive self selcted on.

Brush cutter- are you doing that course they had in the forestral journal, the college course in sweden i think that was all forwading and harvesting?

Blankety blank - £4-5 / tonne here...

I don't mind doing a bit of marking to help folk get into the rhythm (I don't even charge for it! :laugh1: ) but I'm always suspicious of marked stands as I constantly change my mind about what I'm going to fell anyway!

I had a chat with my colleague about this and could I please ask all those who have replied or messaged me to send me a brief CV with a bit of detail regarding the forestry work. It need only be a few lines, but it just makes our life a bit easier!

Regarding the Alstor, it's a very impressive little machine. I would say that the largest product in the stand is around the 550-600kg mark but the majority are in the 50-150kg region (working to 15 3.5m products to the tonne). In that kind of stand, a good operator should manage 4 tonnes an hour. What lets the Alstor down is a long extraction route due to it's relatively small load capacity (2.5 tonne ish). It's nevertheless the best machine for this job.

Brushcutter, I think an MB trac would be too large for this stand - we are working on 2-4 metre spacing (or thereabouts) and some areas are quite tight.

Jonathan

Hi Stu - rates at £11.50 a tonne. You can pretty comfortably average 10 tonne a day, with 8 tonne in the tougher branchy beech, and 12-13 tonne in the sycamore. I did put that fuel is provided, but I was mistaken as it's not!

Hi Brushcutter - I saw that you are heading over there for forwarder training in another thread - it's certainly exciting stuff! We are looking into options for sorting our own extraction, but have reasonable access to an Alstor at present. Anything much bigger would be unsuitable for the stands.

Jonathan

Am I being a bit thick here? but £11.50 per tonne doing 10tonne a day comes to £115, I w'ouldn,t say that was overly good if your paying fuel too, or am I missing something?

Am I being a bit thick here? but £11.50 per tonne doing 10tonne a day comes to £115, I w'ouldn,t say that was overly good if your paying fuel too, or am I missing something?

I didn't say that it was overly good, but I don't think it's bad either. Through my little MS260, that equates to about 2.5 litres of fuel and 1 litre of chain oil, which is about £6.00. Insurance is provided too. :thumbup1:

I'd say it was reasonably good for thinnings - you're never going to become a rich man using a saw in the woods :lol: