made a bit of a boo boo

Ollie Wall

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pricing a job the other day, and was typicly in a rush so wasn't really consentrating and thinking what the job involved and therefore have epicly got the quote wrong. Is there a polite way of changing it.??

:blushing: Ollie

Tell them you made a mistake and inform them of the cost increase.If they refuse,walk away.

It is their right to choose who they hire and your right to choose who your contract to.

pricing a job the other day, and was typicly in a rush so wasn't really consentrating and thinking what the job involved and therefore have epicly got the quote wrong. Is there a polite way of changing it.??

:blushing: Ollie

Yes, be honest and upfront with the client, I under-estimated a large oak a couple of weeks ago, by about half a day for 3 men, think I had a Ginger day when I quoted! They were happy with the progress, and were happy to make up the difference. Doesnt happen a lot, but boy when it does you dont half kick yourself around the yard.

Or walk away, decide which option will leave you the worse off. Its better to lose the X amount you quoted than to cost you XXX amount to finish it.

Also, if its for a friend, there is every possibility they knew exactly how much it should really cost before they asked you. (they may have had other quotes) Its happened to me before, and then you realise how much of a friend they really are.

Doing jobs for freinds of my parents is often a nightmare!! The last one asked me to go ahead with some work without telling me about the TPO. Of course I check these things, but when I found out that he had recently been denied permission for the work (before asking me to quote for it) I was livid!! He was just chancing it to see if I was stupid enough.

So, are you certain that these friends of the family are being honest with you?

Its only a small job about a day max. involves a tree thats been cut down. I assume to help manage it however its got out of hand and the regroth haasa got to about 10/15ft of small diameter shoots. due to the owner being injured and they won't it completly rempoved and all the wood carted away. its about 20 miles there and back.