Tree assessment/forest pathology

with Beech : no (see photo). Tree species with (thin) smooth or "flat" bark develop rough and folded or wrinkled callus and bark. So you have to learn to diagnose the tree species specific bark "body language" as a reaction to an infection with a parasitic Armillaria species.

---

An example of the body language of the next phase of an infection with a parasitic Armillaria species in beech.

---

Beuk-Armillaria.jpg.291e630e063239b4f33d2c3e3c51c228.jpg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An example of the body language of the next phase of an infection with a parasitic Armillaria species in beech.

---

Gerrit, this has all the expression of a beech in my wood, but this one looks more advanced. I thought it was nectria/cryptococus in combination, do these add to this language or are they entirely seperate and not in succsession?

I have also seen last year Olive oysters fruiting (in winter) from summer wounds with bleeds of armillaria, assuming this is latent endophyte ( olives) fruiting after dysfunction causded by the mellea?

1. has ... the expression of a beech in my wood, but this one looks more advanced. I thought it was nectria/cryptococus in combination, do these add to this language or are they entirely seperate and not in succession?

2. I have also seen last year Olive oysters fruiting (in winter) from summer wounds with bleeds of armillaria, assuming this is latent endophyte (olives) fruiting after dysfunction causded by the mellea?

Tony,

1. No, I've never seen the Nectria/Cryptococcus combination "rising up" from and fruiting at the base of the trunk. IME this type of body language on beech is always caused by Armillaria coming from an infection of the roots and/or buttresses.

2. Correct, with the addition, that the mycelium of P. ostreatus needs a frostbite to start fruiting and "uses" the already poorer condition of the tree and the tree's resting period during wintertime to attack the living tissue and decompose dead wood without the tree being able to defend itself.

Tony,

1. No, I've never seen the Nectria/Cryptococcus combination "rising up" from and fruiting at the base of the trunk. IME this type of body language on beech is always caused by Armillaria coming from an infection of the roots and/or buttresses.

2. Correct, with the addition, that the mycelium of P. ostreatus needs a frostbite to start fruiting and "uses" the already poorer condition of the tree and the tree's resting period during wintertime to attack the living tissue and decompose dead wood without the tree being able to defend itself.

I was speaking of the olive oyster panellus serotinus as apposed to Pluerotus ostreatus

I was speaking of the olive oyster Panellus serotinus as opposed to Pleurotus ostreatus

That's the kind of misunderstanding one gets when not using the Latin names, as in Dutch, P. serotinus is called Groene schelpzwam, which means Green shell (i.e. not oyster) fungus.

So then there is no connection to Armillaria, as I before described for P.ostreatus, because P. serotinus can not survive longer lasting frost periods and thus is not a winter species such as P. ostreatus and Flammulina velutipes are.

That's the kind of misunderstanding one gets when not using the Latin names, as in Dutch, P. serotinus is called Groene schelpzwam, which means Green shell (i.e. not oyster) fungus.

So then there is no connection to Armillaria, as I before described for P.ostreatus, because P. serotinus can not survive longer lasting frost periods and thus is not a winter species such as P. ostreatus and Flammulina velutipes are.

then for once i can teach you something! Panellus serotinus is indeed a true winter fungi

they dont call it the late fall oyster in the U.S for nowt!:thumbup1:

59765d96d9ad9_oysterlingolive053.jpg.134a80697661f2abf6813613f06f805f.jpg

59765d96de50c_oysterlingolive014.jpg.cb297447bf7299d71e6d7dc1e40a7d57.jpg

59765d96e1430_oysterlingolive024.jpg.e9b8f8ceb4a3a3e903ac82d8ce84af7c.jpg

59765d96e3261_oysterlingolive047.jpg.96668f1ab75bf3ac04a03fe184c54e26.jpg

then for once i can teach you something! Panellus serotinus is indeed a true winter fungi ... they dont call it the late fall oyster in the U.S for nowt!

Tony,

If the criterium for being a winter fungus would be having pictures of a species with snow on top, then the Fly Agaric would also be a winter species, as I found it once on the 20th of December with white velum warts and lots of frozen snowflakes on top. And in my calendar, late fall preceeds winter time.

The decisive characteristic is having trehalose, a kind of anti-freeze, in the cells of its FB's, protecting the cells and especially the reproductive organs from freezing (exploding) and making the revival of the FB's possible, so that reproduction can restart after the frost is gone, which only is the case for two species, i.e. P. ostreatus and F. velutipes.

Tony,

If the criterium for being a winter fungus would be having pictures of a species with snow on top, then the Fly Agaric would also be a winter species, as I found it once on the 20th of December with white velum warts and lots of frozen snowflakes on top. And in my calendar, late fall preceeds winter time.

The decisive characteristic is having trehalose, a kind of anti-freeze, in the cells of its FB's, protecting the cells and especially the reproductive organs from freezing (exploding) and making the revival of the FB's possible, so that reproduction can restart after the frost is gone, which only is the case for two species, i.e. P. ostreatus and F. velutipes.

I had better retire! lol:thumbup:

heres one for robarb.

prunus padus, thinning, so strolled up for a gander, panic sterile gano obviously australe due to parasitic nature, mower damage vector, clear root compensation and amoung the branches, exidia sp (dessicated) on floor dessicated daedaleopsis confrogosa and on roots Xylaria polymorpha the dead mans fingers.

got more images if you want em!:lol:

P1130520.jpg.c4205015a39d01a73342bc8e9d962fbd.jpg

P1130521.jpg.0fff41b57bd5a4706185ffee87ed56b6.jpg

P1130522.jpg.ad11bff9c250e02583c71429f256fb53.jpg

P1130523.jpg.6ec5d6319e49642a5fed9e70fd50a27d.jpg

P1130540.jpg.ef8c54dfd5aa2ca3ada03a65dc609568.jpg

P1130524.jpg.b84b65837eed6ad8ac9433b5787d15be.jpg

P1130528.jpg.dd26dfaff8af48451a359e6be1ae57b1.jpg

P1130545.jpg.1886f190eb349a25c3dad2729c56db53.jpg

P1130529.jpg.a8fedd378ee21330ba07f755cee70cec.jpg

P1130550.jpg.a5428a5c4440e552035ff54ab338038c.jpg