First chainsaw.

hippytyre

346 pulls a 15" well enough, but it flies with a 13". I wouldn't use a top of the range saw like the 346 etc. for "dirty" work (MDF, pallets etc.) Better with a B&Q bargain job for £50 and keeping the 346 decent. Get trousers, boots, work gloves, helmet/visor/ear defenders to go with it, even if you are only doing a little bit.

:001_smile:

Spot on - worth listening to - my preference is for 15" as a good all round bar size - very good ballance on this saw.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, So I'm part timer as well and have been cutting firewood for 20 years. I was going to buy a new 346xp from Justin but assumed I couldn't do this from Northern Ireland without holding proper certificates, so I bought a used 357xp from the auction site - get it today and hope it is in good nick.

My question - what do the proper trousers do? I'm ordering a backpack blower from Justin, and will get some wedges and oil etc, I have helmets/gloves etc but why would I want trousers? Do they give protection against a saw? or against the elements?

Chainsaw trousers are designed to help you not to cut your legs and bleed to death, unable to raise the alarm as your live slowly oozes out of you.

They're filled with clever fibre-stuff that blocks the chain if you cut it.

Whao! Didn't think even Kevlar would be that good that it could stop a saw, although I guess it is only really trying to "brush away" the saw...

Do people use the trousers for groundwork or just when working in a tree??

I know saws are really dangerous, thankfully we've never had any incidents, but I guess I should think about adding more protection.

Thanks Rover:thumbup1:

ALWAYS wear protective trousers when there's a saw running. It does not brush away the saw, nor does it try and be unbreakable. it's a specially designed fibre that simply blocks the saw by jamming the chain.

I'm sure there's more informed people on here that could tell you all about the ins and outs of proper PPE.

ALWAYS wear protective trousers when there's a saw running. It does not brush away the saw, nor does it try and be unbreakable. it's a specially designed fibre that simply blocks the saw by jamming the chain.

I'm sure there's more informed people on here that could tell you all about the ins and outs of proper PPE.

Rover,

Good input thanks. I'll have to get some trousers ordered.

FR Jones - brilliant service, ordered blower late Monday, delivered to rural Northern Ireland on Wednesday 8am - what's not to like with that service. I can only endorse Justin and recommend him to anyone who is thinking of buying from FR Jones

Regards

Coyzer:thumbup::thumbup:

plus chain saw trousers are perfect casual wear in winter when doing odd jobs out side, most are water repellent to some extent. Would never use a chainsaw with out them, got too many friends with interesting scars... 15" on a 346 is what i run at the moment but would prefer a 260 or i hear the near 261 is rather good. With a 15" bar you can do a most things, though it is a strain on the small saw cutting big timber, keep in mind these are professional saws intended for professional use by trained professionals, i would recomend doing a nptc cs30 at least which teaches you how to to look after your saw, sharpen it etc, at the basics on cross cutting tension, compression etc. The AFAG leaflet 301,302,303,304 are worth a look but shouldn't be seen as a substitute for proper education and qualification in these matters.

Edited by Dilz
addition of information