first rigging kit

andy2

where are the stein rigging kits available from? I'm putting together a fairly complete kit at the momment so this thread is of interest. the short cords are to be spliced into dead eye slings,

60 mete yale polydyne 14mm

3m whoopie sling 16 mm

ISC medium block + 4m split tail 16mm

Stein RC1000

2 X 80cm slings

1 X 60cm sling

1 X 120cm sling

8m polydyne 16 mm

6m polydyne 12 mm

ISC light weight pulley 70kn

2 x steel krabs

and great big expensive bag to put it all in....

looking at just over 600 squid + the Vodka and Tonic

just curious, i was looking along the same kit as yours so to speak..... but wonder why you haven't chosen the rc2000? its only 25+ vat extra and a bigger barrel for heat dissipation.... any reason?

cheers Chris :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

indeed there isnt really a logical explination, and i am infact considering getting the larger 2000, maybe the bore will create too much friction on the 14mm rope, i had a play with the 2000, cant recall which rope except it needed milking like crazy, it was 16mm and until we started dropping big stuff there was too much friction to make the branches run smooth - also any list of rigging kit should include thick leather gloves! dont scrimp on these, cheap ones will burn through on the first day, expensive ones last a week! i knew a crew that use to have one welding glove in the kit box for rigging.

not familiar tennex/yalex.... though it has just reminded me i got many meters of good 3 strand polyprop in the garage that i have forgotten all about, not sure on the rating of it though but dead easy to splice....i thing its 20mm or so thick...any one know if this would be good enough for the dead eyes?

A pre-assembled rigging kit from a retailer represents good value, so long as it contains what you need.

Be aware that these rigging kits are not made up from left overs, they consist of the tried and tested components so if your idea differs then maybe your idea is not the best. No offence meant, I only say it because I've made mistakes like that.

Also, everything Peter has said so far is spot on.

i like to use krabs and slings, when one piece is on its way down i can be geting in to position, put a sling on and as soon as the rope is on its clipped in and away, same for on the ground clip and its off, maybe not save you hours on the job but i like it when rigging gets a good rhythm going, and in the grand scheme of things the cost of a couple of steel krabs isnt that much, but dont let this replace knot knowledge, i dont need krabs i just like to have them as i feel they make things quicker but i can as well do with out them. Its perhaps a bit like saying you dont need an art positioner and a tree motion harness when a weaver (not slagging of weaver harnesses they are in fact awesome) and perhaps a cambium saver if you are feeling fancy. though i guess at the end of the day, you make do with what you get for the most part and it becomes what you work best with as you know no other..........

where can i get the tennex from?

also have been looking at the stein kits fr-j's may well buy one of these and then top up with the extra bits but got to sit down and price it, also part of me really wants the paydyne lowering line, not sure why bar it ticks all the right boxes.