Which Tractor 3point hitch Timber Winche to buy?

cessna

I am considering piurchasing a timber winch to go on my 4wd MF 390 tractor.

I will be using the winch to pull timber "UP VERY STEEP" banks,as no access at bottom of woodland.What make and capacity winch do you suggest,some beech trees up to 3ft diameter.Any advice suggestions welcome,for dealing with timber extraction on steep terrain.

3ft dia beech.....a flippin' big one!!

Like stevie says- the biggest you can afford that your machine will run. Or cut the wood smaller.

Very few that diameter,but they are the ones that cause the most WORK, problems.e.g sawing them up smaller,as you may well know,especially on the side of a bank you can hardly stand up on, with mosquitos bugging one!! Cheers.

As already said as much pull as you can afford or the tractor can handle.

What tractor will you be putting it on?

I like the Igland and Uniforest winches.

I am considering piurchasing a timber winch to go on my 4wd MF 390 tractor.

:001_smile:

if you are only pulling the odd big one then go for a mid range winch, having to haul a heavy cable around all the time will get annoying, you can always double up with a snatch block for the heavy stuff.
I agree with Tom D, A 5-6 ton will pull a lot of wood for you, if you were using a bigger winch every day you would soon get sick of pulling the heavy cable. For the odd big stick you need to get out find a friendly local with a Boughton 10 ton bolted to the back of something. Back in the day it would have been a Cooks double speed with ground spades bolted on the back of a ford major that you would have been looking for.

I dis agree with relying on another guy for the big stuff, you might aswell use him for everything.

The diference in weight in the wire rope is nothing in the world of winching up hills and bankings. We just used to have a pull line and get it started as fast as you can, on a slope the weight of the cable helped it come out.