new bollard/winch for rigging?

I see where you're going with that Majestic and I've been through the same thought process.

However, you're off the Mark with the winch. It's about £830+vat. Reason being it's the best on the market. The Lemar version is a smidge cheaper. What your paying for is years and years of development by the market leaders to produce something bomb proof that even a moron can maintain in under thirty minutes once a year. (I was a sailor before a tree surgeon).

Knowing the critical component is sufficient at that crucial moment, to me, justifies the cost.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The alloy backplate is half inch I think (american design!)

The actuall winch unit is a harken yacht winhc, they are around the 800 quid mark, if you wind the handle anti clockwise it rotates clockwise with a 4:1 MA, but if you wind the handle clockwise it continues to rotate clockwise but with 44:1 MA (those ratios might be different on the newer ones). so you can pretension very quickly anticlockwise and then go the other way to increase the power.

So its more than just a winder, its a dual speed self tailing winch and a lovelything to use either out at sea on your yacht or at work!!

Yes of course you could easily buy any winch and fab up a bracket and ratchet strap it to a tree, no worries, its be done plenty of times before but I dont know who has any pictures.

I may have got my clockwise and anti clockwises the wrong way round!! Pretension it clockwise and then go the other way I think!!!!!

I dont know, I have only used it a few times, I'm usually up the tree and have no idea whats going on below except that it always works fine!

I believe the GRCS winch has a breaking strenght of 10T, so its up to you waht SWL you want to apply to that. A 10:1 safety factor gives you a ton but you could say that a 7:1 safety factor is plenty giving you just under 1.5t.

The strenght and quality of the build on the backplate and mounting set up (including straps) will be the limiting factor, not the winch.

Harken also make electric and hydraulic versions so you could get clever!! I have seen a hydraulic one on a ski steer before and it worked well but the skid steer has to be tied down!!