new bollard/winch for rigging?

nice pictures,

and i can see you view but i'm still hung up (no pun) in buying one, i've always used portawraps and capstans but bollards just look so much neater to use, just going with the times if you know what mean.....out with old in with the new:thumbup:

Thanks for trying to save me money, but nothing can save me from the shiny.:001_tt2:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrapping three strand round the tree will get any tree job done, no worries. Of course a portawrap will do, my old bits of scaffold bar will do.

The only difference is efficiency, and higher efficiencly means less time, lower price, win more jobs. The GRCS wont make you more money necessarily but the increase in confindence it gives will help to win more jobs.

If you have little in the way of competition already then dont bother with it.

The only difference is efficiency, and higher efficiencly means less time, lower price, win more jobs. The GRCS wont make you more money necessarily but the increase in confindence it gives will help to win more jobs.

If you have little in the way of competition already then dont bother with it.

Rupe,

I've used both the GRCS and Hobbs many times on large dismantles so I'm only too aware of the pros and cons.

Skill in rigging and working efficiently to bring a tree down lies in the climber and groundsman not in the lowering device.

Agreed, a poor climber/groundie combination is not going to be improved by the addition of a hobbs/grcs, in fact general disaster is now much more likely!

I use mine regularly becasue I have it, but I can only think of a handfull of jobs where it was critical. I can however think of many jobs we have done where owning it has helped me get the job in the first place.

Skill in rigging and working efficiently to bring a tree down lies in the climber and groundsman not in the lowering device.

I dont agree Tim, Good kit makes up for the lack of skill in individuals on some tasks. Look at the mess you can get into wrapping a spare 100 feet of rope around a tree that has bushes around it, the poor groundie is going to get tied in knots what ever happens, but 2 quick loops around a bollard, then a quick tighten up compared to digging your feet in a damp lawn like the anchor of a tug of war team is just so easy and simple.:001_cool:

The better the kit, the better the output:001_smile:

I dont agree Tim, Good kit makes up for the lack of skill in individuals on some tasks. Look at the mess you can get into wrapping a spare 100 feet of rope around a tree that has bushes around it, the poor groundie is going to get tied in knots what ever happens, but 2 quick loops around a bollard, then a quick tighten up compared to digging your feet in a damp lawn like the anchor of a tug of war team is just so easy and simple.:001_cool:

The better the kit, the better the output:001_smile:

I disagree Stevie, the new DMM impact blocks would probably be described by most folk as 'better kit' than the old ISC blocks but they will not increase the output or create larger profit for the company.

Most people would say the GRCS is 'better kit' than a buckingham portawrap but a poor climber using a GRCS will rig himself into a quandry in no time whereas a good climber using a just a Portawrap can get the same tree down safely and efficiently without any problem what so ever.

It's critical a climber can judge forces, weights and distances, however the choice of lowering device is not critical.

As for wraps around the trunk - used it numerous times for big dismantles and still do frequently for the odd branch removal, there is never a need to wrap a spare 100ft of rope around the tree, stick it in a bag and you'll be fine. Come to think of it, proper old school rigging with no blocks or lowering devices done well can tell you loads about the skills of a climber.

90% of my work is medium to large removals over houses, roads and other property etc and the Portawrap can handle every tree we throw at it, there's no need for a bollard/drum lowering device mate.

How many of those pieces did you lift or were they all lowered?

If they were lowered then you don't need a GRCS. I tend to lift lots more pieces now instead of dropping.