businessman Or arborist

Yorkshireman

...cut back to me plus one man and have never looked back!

See, that's another good point raised, right there... How many men in a gang??

Spending money and running a business, doesn't just revolve around the shiney kit, but also the people on the ground.

9 times out of 10, there's only one climber, but do you send 2 groundsmen, or one?

Are two groundsmen gonna clear up twice as quick, or just work half as hard... thereby taking the same time as just the one??

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't want to become a manager, so I upped what I wanted by £100 a day, cut back to me plus one man and have never looked back!

One of the most rewarding parts of running my company is employing people, I think its great.

So I would'nt fancy going down that route, plus most of the staff are also good mates so I'd quickly be very unpopular.

One of the most rewarding parts of running my company is employing people, I think its great.

So I would'nt fancy going down that route, plus most of the staff are also good mates so I'd quickly be very unpopular.

Every company is only as good as its staff !

I also enjoy bringing on those, who want to learn !

I love the work and the business stuff. There is so much to learn. Working out the accounts a few years ago was a good move for me. Accountants` accounts are useless for a business owner. They tell you about last year - not what is happening now and are purely for legal / tax purposes. To get a clear picture of what is coming in and out you need to do it yourself.

When I worked out exactly what I was spending on fuel, wages, advertising, vehicles, stamps - the lot, it was clear that our day rate was way too low. So it went up by 40 %. I`d also recently gone Vat registered so our prices had already gone up by 17.5 % . The result: we actually won more jobs and were taken more seriously. Now customers nearly always pay up on time without chasing, are a lot friendlier and far less likely to try adding on freebies.

Your customers are not all price shoppers. Take a look at the cars in your area. Was the decision to buy a particular model based solely on price ? When you get quotes from service industries are you not a little wary of the cheapest ? Wondering if they know what they`re doing ? Thats what your customers think about the cheapest tree surgeon. If you are not loving your business put your prices up.