pruning and cabling a mature maple

dadio

This may be a major difference between the US and England... There is no requirement for training in the US. The results are evident in a drive through any suburban neighborhood, especially in looking at the results in line clearance. Thee poor trees have been improperly pruned, with cuts made that violate the living tissue of the parent stem being omnipresent, as is the resulting decay, which often compromised the structural integrity of the tree. In my area of the US, the results of this improper pruning are EVERYWHERE!!!

Perhaps the regulation in England, that require every arborist to have a proper training in the importance of making target cuts, result in far less of this type of damage. However, humans are still going to make mistakes.. either because the exact target is hard to determine, or out of laziness/production over perfection...

When there is an important cut, (to the tree) I take the time to make the best cut I can. ie on many old dead stubs on mature trees, the living tissue grows over the stub in an irregular way. I take the time to look around to the back and under sides of the cut and peel away the dead bark, to make sure I don't accidentally cut through the living tissue. I've never seen anyone else, even the "best" guys around, do the same, and they make mistakes.

Trees have been able to successfully compartmentalize decay from shedding limbs naturally for thousands of years.. they can in general, handle the decay that results from leaving a stub. This phobia of stubs is a misconception in the industry. Knowing when its important to make a good target cut, and when its important to make sure you don't violate the living tissue of the parent stem by leaving a small stub, and when leaving a stub is irrelevant to the tree's health, requires an understanding of trees and an open mind.. you will not find that understanding in a training manual.

I actually have written a paper on the subject some years ago, but have not published it yet.

You are mistaken, there is no legal requirement for training in the UK. There is a duty of care over employees that means they need to have recognised training, but a huge number of firms are one man bands, meaning the boss is the climber, so the duty of care is much less clear.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daniel,

Have you ever thought that the US, particularly yourself may be "behind the times"??

You seem to be always putting down the UK on our standards when it has been proven time and time again on pruning standards. I also find it insulting that you are generalising the work of a few with the work of us all as a standard..!! I take my time to make sure i get in a proper work position FROM A ROPE AND HARNESS, where i can make a perfect pruning cut leaving the branch bark collar totally intact everytime!

Essentially you a performing heading cuts on every cut you do, see attached website which is endorsed by the ISA (predominently American)

Trees Are Good - Tree Care Information

I certainly did not mean to put down the UK's arbs.. Heading cuts and topping cuts need to be distinguished.. a matter of some debate.. Heading cuts have a very valid use in this work. I think that those that are "behind the times", tend to associate heading cuts with tree topping, and thereby miss the opportunity to use heading cuts.

I don't put down standards as much as realize their limitations, and find it irritating to have my work criticized because it fails to conform to standards, when there are very good reasons that I do things the way I do. And criticized by people who simply do not understand the level of this work.

I certainly did not mean to put down the UK's arbs.. Heading cuts and topping cuts need to be distinguished.. a matter of some debate.. Heading cuts have a very valid use in this work. I think that those that are "behind the times", tend to associate heading cuts with tree topping, and thereby miss the opportunity to use heading cuts.

I don't put down standards as much as realize their limitations, and find it irritating to have my work criticized because it fails to conform to standards, when there are very good reasons that I do things the way I do. And criticized by people who simply do not understand the level of this work.

and thats why you get peoples back up:thumbdown:

i am merely stating an arguement or opinion, and without knowing ANYTHING about me whats so ever, you say i (sorry, people, another generalisation) do not understand:sneaky2:

Daniel, whether we leave stubs on 1" tips of branches isn't only because of harm you may cause to the remaining living tissue. Although this is the main reason. But also, because they simply look crap. I can cut a successful target prune 99.999% of the time from a rope and harness.

Sometimes on reduction work, if I have a MEWP available, I will use one as I feel they allow you keep an eye on the overall shape of the tree you just don't get from a rope and harness. If I don't have one available, I make sure I have a groundie with me who knows what I'm trying to achieve, and discuss it thoroughly before beginning work.

As for the cable bracing, I'm not even going to entertain the notion that Cobra wouldn't be a much better choice. Easier to work with, and a lot less invasive.

Would love to read your paper though. How about publishing it on here? I'm sure all rights will remain with you.

as normal then, you more than most seem to get ignored a lot?:lol:

Too right Rob, unfortunately I called Daniel a few names on another forum a good time ago, and although I have tried asking many sincere questions since for him to share his knowledge, he chooses not to:sneaky2:

Just the way it is I guess, but I would have felled that tree anyhow:thumbup: