Hows the log sales going now

mendiplogs

With abit more colder weather latley and some more expexted in the coming week, -7 expected tonight according to the weather forecast where we are in Hertfordshire, has there been any sort of surge in sales or an increase of orders, ive been definitely burning more in the last 4 days, most since we had the snow. I say lets hope for some cold and get the ligs shifted!!

Logs still going out but not a record breaking year in any sense.

That just gave me a thought for a question for you guys. Im guessing some of you on here have been in the log trade for many years. What year comws to mind when I ask "What was your best log selling year?".

Weve only been going for about 4 years and this winter (2015/16) is probably our best in sales but we expected to do abit better especially when rhey were saying last autum that this wintwr was going to be the coldest in 50 year!!

It's hard to tell because we're always expanding but there certainly seems to be more fires around now and a greater demand for dry logs instead of people cutting their own.

We've been going about 20 years, it was just my dad doing a bit but since I left school and joined the business 8 years ago we've increased every year. We should hit 1000 tons this year so there's certainly demand. Only problem we have is a lot of new people who sell wood near the start of the winter until they run out of dry stuff which keeps the prices low. It's good for the customers though. :)

I sell green in spring and early summer and this is through educating customers on the phone. I'm fortunate though and my log sales are a nice add on to my tree surgery operations. I take the view that I sell at a competitive but comparable price to the big boys and if I don't sell it I will build a big pile and enjoy watching it burn rather than give it away. I'd rather not undercut those whose business this is.

That just gave me a thought for a question for you guys. Im guessing some of you on here have been in the log trade for many years. What year comws to mind when I ask "What was your best log selling year?".

Weve only been going for about 4 years and this winter (2015/16) is probably our best in sales but we expected to do abit better especially when rhey were saying last autum that this wintwr was going to be the coldest in 50 year!!

2010 long winter lots of snow, mainly -10 and below, was freeze drying the green logs too. Brilliant winter for log sales.