Hows the log sales going now

mendiplogs

SEASONS Greetings.

delivered to stove shop the other week.

they have started to replace flue liners already.

customers burning coke and wet logs. dissolves and rusts stainless liners.

roll on.

best publicity i can have for my dry logs.

when a few have had to pay £1500 ish for a new liner,my sales should increase again.

but many will not learn when they can buy wet for 40-65 and dry for £60 a bag at the moment.

talking to a fabricator from new mills, he has a hetas fitter buying 7-10 register plates every week............

so ,,,,plenty of opportunities out there.

SEASONS Greetings.

delivered to stove shop the other week.

they have started to replace flue liners already.

customers burning coke and wet logs. dissolves and rusts stainless liners.

Not starting a row here :001_smile: Just wondered how a stainless liner can rust ? . As I understood it you need ferrus ( Iron content ) to rust . Stainless should be non ferrus .....?

Not starting a row here :001_smile: Just wondered how a stainless liner can rust ? . As I understood it you need ferrus ( Iron content ) to rust . Stainless should be non ferrus .....?

Stainless has a high ferrous content - it's the alloying with chromium and vanadium that gives it the corrosion resistance. There are different grades - and I always advise people to pick the higher-grade of the two usually on offer for flues and components.

But it's only corrosion resistance. Not immunity in the lower grades. Hence the issues folks are having.

IF you told me to jump into the canal I woulnt.

Most kiln dried is well below 20% joy

Just out of interest, whats the moisture content of your kindling these days ?

The only difference I can see between kiln dried and air dried is the cost monetary and enviromental. You may get a reading of 14% when it comes out of the kiln but a few days later it will be exactly the same as the air dried 12 month old Beech. I have seen cut beech logs get 90% of the moisture out in 4 weeks of heat wave. I have seen very little drop in moisture content from sept to april.

The corrosion is not rust, its acid corrosion. Poorly seasoned wood gives the moisture (H2O), coal, coke gives the sulphur dioxide (SO2). Mix them together in your stainless flue and you get H2SO4, sulphuric acid. That will perforate any flue system in no time.

So your customers rely on a heat wave if your to supply them with dry firewood ?

So tell me how can the log processors currently processing fresh green cord into logs now hope to get said logs dry and seasoned now ?

I see day in day out on drives wet green logs fit for nothing but stacking till next year if they're lucky.

There seems to be a massive bias on here to justifying the practice of trying to convince the end user you are supplying genuine seasoned logs when the nothing could be further from the truth in most cases.

The truth is there are very few genuine firewood producers in this country who care what they sell. Most are tree surgeons and farmers selling logs as a cash crop and have little thought of the damage they are doing to customers very expensive stove installations.

The high demand for firewood makes it far too tempting to chase the quick buck.

So your customers rely on a heat wave if your to supply them with dry firewood ?

So tell me how can the log processors currently processing fresh green cord into logs now hope to get said logs dry and seasoned now ?

I see day in day out on drives wet green logs fit for nothing but stacking till next year if they're lucky.

There seems to be a massive bias on here to justifying the practice of trying to convince the end user you are supplying genuine seasoned logs when the nothing could be further from the truth in most cases.

The truth is there are very few genuine firewood producers in this country who care what they sell. Most are tree surgeons and farmers selling logs as a cash crop and have little thought of the damage they are doing to customers very expensive stove installations.

Im one of the many Tree Surgeons that sell quality seasoned logs :001_tt2:

I dont sell logs anymore cant compete with people selling cheap. Customers can always buy their logs 9 months in advance and spend £12 on a moisture metre and manage their fuel source. I used to season for a minimum of 12 months after cutting into brick sized logs. Its taken me 2 years to clear out my stock of seasoned logs. There must be a shortage of logs if people are buying it green the customer is sharper than u think they know its green but cheap.