Linked Heating System

benedmonds

This has to be signed off as being safe to use. The key question is what happens if you have a power cut and no pumped water just as you have refuelled the stove !!. If the water in the stove boils you have a very dangerous situation as it may explode.

Woodburning/multifuel boiler stoves require plumbing to a cold water tank, when plumbed using an Esse centraliser or similar ( Dunsley?) then excess heat is allowed to escape into the cold water tank.

http://www.esse.com/pdfs/Centraliser.pdf

The problem is that Combi boilers do not usually have a cold water tank. Broseley have a system called SCWS that solves this problem, they will however only supply SCWS products to companies who have installers who have been on and passed the Brosely training course. This is a free course but is only available to trained and qualified plumbers.

Innovation In stove design | Broseley Fires

Hope this helps.

A

Edited by Alycidon

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting.

I put a 3 bar blow-off valve into my back boiler circuit to guard against what you describe.

If it was possible to site the cylinder directly above the back boiler, then the water would circulate via convection, and you could still have an open system with a header tank. You would still need an overpressure safety device of some kind on the cylinder, to prevent that exploding!

The long and short of it is that combi boilers are rubbish if you want to run a combined system.

I am going to have a duel system fitted soon with an oil fired combi and a wood burning range.

Basically, both get hooked up to a thermal store (about £1-1.5K) and it should be fairly automated. If the wood stays burning, the thermal store won't need any more heated water so the oil will stay off. But if the fire goes out, the thermal store will turn the oil boiler on.

Hopefully this works but I'll attach the diagram that I got from Stoves Online, a chap called Mike Gulley seemed to know his stuff.

Hope that helps.

Also, this diagram shows the thermal store capable of 4 inputs, so, ground source and solar could be added later on too if wanted. Think we'll be alright for wood though to be fair.

Stovesonline-vented-linkup-using-acc-tank-with-combi-direct.jpg.7028a20b17207b8180f7ba640985310d.jpg

Solar would be worthwhile, as it will generate hot water in summer when you don't want the stove burning.

Groundsource would be a waste of time, as it requires quite a bit of electric power to run, especially as you have plenty of free wood.

I'm hoping it wont be too hot in summer cos its going to be a cooker/range doing all hot water too. Its quite a big kitchen so I hope it wont be too bad.

I spoke to Bob a while ago about his stove/back boiler and he said because the water takes a lot of heat out of the stove, the lounge doesnt actually get THAT hot and so can burn a lot of the time.

We'll see. I'm hoping to order it all this weekend.

Heat output to the room from the appliance os what you need to know in KW. Take volume of your room in Cubic meters, divide by 14 for average insulation, 16 for good and 12 for poor.

So a room 6m x 8m x 2.4m tall = 115.2cu m; needs just over 8kw to heat it as the primary heat source given average insulation. The big Esse W35s give about 5kw to the room, cant say about anything else, your supplier should be able to tell you.

A

We had a Firebelly with a back boiler fitted when we had the house extented, the system has two pumps when the back boiler reaches 80 degrees it turns the gas central heating off and pumps round the back boiler heating. Its got a Dunnsley Nuetraliser (what ever that is ) that mixes the two together. Weve got a radiator on the landing that acts as an accumalter / over flow this only comes on when the stove is lit. Thats all i know about it it took a plumber and an electrician a day of head scratching to sort it out but it works, dont know if you can plumb in a combi boiler though

Your really on the wrong forum to get your question answered. It has been covered many times on the Navitron forum with many practical solutions. There a very helpful bunch but if you ask them make sure you do a search of the threads first because they do get annoyed being repeatedly asked the same question because the person cannot be bothered to use the search facility. Good starting point would be to type dunsley neutraliser into the search engine as it always crops up as a suggested solution.

Your really on the wrong forum to get your question answered. It has been covered many times on the Navitron forum with many practical solutions. There a very helpful bunch but if you ask them make sure you do a search of the threads first because they do get annoyed being repeatedly asked the same question because the person cannot be bothered to use the search facility. Good starting point would be to type dunsley neutraliser into the search engine as it always crops up as a suggested solution.

It might not be the best forum for the question, but there is normaly someone on Arbtalk who will point you in the right direction.. Other forums can be too helpfull... and I get confused. I have read threads in the Navitron, but sometimes there is to much information.