Arb Method Statement...

benedmonds

I had to do a AIA at a site, while there I was asked to write a Method Statement at a neighboring part of the site for construction of a patio. The trees are TPO'd....? There's been a big fire under one, two have had about a foot of soil removed to within 3ft of the trunk..

Where do you start...

Turn back the clock 6 months, install tree protection fencing

59765b8e5f6fd_23102008294.jpg.da5226c1346665ce7252744fd803ef5b.jpg

59765b8e5b9a3_23102008293.jpg.8fb6dd96a4f0dc40c35b5a2bb54585f5.jpg

The method statement should be done by the company doing the patio work.

You may need to do a risk assessment in regards to the trees which is a completely different thing.

I would clarify what they want from you tbh.

Unless it's you involved with the the construction side.

Or I could be mistaken:001_smile:

I would make sure that some form of protective fencing is erected ASAP until the patio is ready to be constructed. Clear as much rubbish from within the RPA as possible and stop any activity within the RPA with fencing. The MS should advise fencing positions and that no further soil is removed during construction. You could make general comments about patio construction, such as ensuring that only porous materials should be used for the finished surface within the RPA, avoiding any further soil compaction and prohibit the use of chemicals etc with the RPA. Recommend a re-inspection after completion to assess future management options.

The method statement should be done by the company doing the patio work.

Or I could be mistaken:001_smile:

An Arb Method Statement (from BS5837) should tell the contractors undertaking the works how to do it without haming the trees. Not the same as a Method Statment before tree works. My point is that tree protection is way to late in this case...