Duckweed control

Matthew Arnold

It's a natural balance thing

If you remove nutrients then duckweed struggles as if you remove light

How about either netting off occasionally to remove nutrien ts or

make some artificial lilly leaves

See how it goes

Trouble with glyphos i think is that you will get dead duckweed fall down to the bottom whick will decompose- take out oxygen and provide nutrient- this is my considered opinion- personally I quite like duckweed though not over the whole pond

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The plan is in late summer (september time) to borrow some oil booms from the Environment Agency. They will float along the surface and have small nets about 6 inches in length on the base of the floats. We will then walk out laying them along the edge then drag them onto a big tarp (20ft x 10 ft) and take them away to our fire pit to rot down.

Had a very similiar problem when i was a wee ranger man a few years ago, we had a polypropelene rope with a few floats on it, we used to skim that slowly across the pond, bringing the weed in slowly, we had some wooden spades made to scoop the weed out when it was mounting up near the bank......i sympathise with you, it's a nightmare to deal with, LA's dont like chemic in there parks :001_rolleyes:

Mark

Had a very similiar problem when i was a wee ranger man a few years ago, we had a polypropelene rope with a few floats on it, we used to skim that slowly across the pond, bringing the weed in slowly, we had some wooden spades made to scoop the weed out when it was mounting up near the bank......i sympathise with you, it's a nightmare to deal with, LA's dont like chemic in there parks :001_rolleyes:

Mark

Our LA is suprisingly relaxed about what we use. Its the public we have to look out for. Even if we spray round up on the path edges then they go up in arms as the edges are brown within 2 weeks. We put posters up but still they complain.:lol:

Ha ha its a rangers lot mate, 10 years in the business, you cant win ! its like cordenin off something with hazard tape..........HELLO !!!!!! must wander in an have a look !!!! lol, good days.........

Mark

Our best one was we were doing tree felling on a new bit of trailway. Most of the trees were 20" DHB or bigger. We had one van blocking one end of the job site and the other at the other end. Big notices saying "No entry! Forestry operations. Keep Out" and a group of ramblers just walked through the site without even asking if they could walk through. They even had the balls to complain to us about the large quantities of mud we had kicked up whilst moving the vans and felling the trees.:lol:

Our best one was we were doing tree felling on a new bit of trailway. Most of the trees were 20" DHB or bigger. We had one van blocking one end of the job site and the other at the other end. Big notices saying "No entry! Forestry operations. Keep Out" and a group of ramblers just walked through the site without even asking if they could walk through. They even had the balls to complain to us about the large quantities of mud we had kicked up whilst moving the vans and felling the trees.:lol:

Yup !!!! militant ramblers wont deviate or stop for nowt :2gunsfiring_v1:

Yup !!!! militant ramblers wont deviate or stop for nowt :2gunsfiring_v1:

We had a noisy group of about 40 walk through one of the main drives last season on an estate i beat and shoot on. They were kindly(ish) told to keep the noise down. We got abuse hurled back.:sneaky2: They weren't expecting to see the headkeeper, underkeeper, me, my old man and a few others suddenly appear from the bushes. They very quickly scarpered as we were all carrying guns as it was the end of the season.:thumbup:

Ha ha nice one mate, shud av bagged a few an mounted em............then again !!!!!!!

Was highly amusing seeing them soiling themselves. They moved off very quickly and whenever we saw them or they saw us they took a very wide birth.:thumbup: I routed some Oak boards during work time saying "Caution: Shooting Estate. Keep noise levels to a minimum. Keep dogs on leads at all times. Any dog seen well off the track with be disposed of." People still walk their dogs on the estate but they are now all on leads.