New Chainsaws

David oakman

Stihl 064 went today new one will be about 800 quid and a 026 in both the pistons were wore up and scratched and pitted.:thumbdown:

If they are quite new i'e less than 6 months work on them it may be worth sending them back to stihl and chance a warrenty repair, thats if you say you were using stihl oil at the reccomended rate.

They may not fix them for free but they may fix it at parts cost only.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always used 50:1 and (touch wood!) never had any problems but always used good quality oil and mixed correctly. As for the old chestnut of 25:1 being better i am only doing what the manufacturer states so if its wrong they can sort it. Excessive oil can gum up the rings and unless you are trying to keep horseflies at bay smoke like the clappers and you are still pulling through a set amount of air but to less petrol because of excessive oil so can you therefore being running it lean by running it rich?

Stihl 064 went today new one will be about 800 quid and a 026 in both the pistons were wore up and scratched and pitted.:thumbdown:

Hi David when you said they were new saws did you mean new to you as 026 and 064 are old models now?

If they were second hand did you know there history.

guys i may enlighten you or bore you now,but here goes;apart from the odd cheap husqvarna dealer offers (262's and 357's they couldn't sell) in 20 years i have always bought stihl and ran them from new to death,from 026's through 036.044,66 and 88's.always ran them on stihl 50:1,however,last couple of years i find myself putting 5 litre oil measure in the can but only 4 litres of unleaded,dont ask me why,just instinct.recently my local dealer ran out of 2 stroke but gave me stihl HP two stroke oil,mixed it 50:1,my kit suddenly runs crap,smells and cuts out,i personally think its a fine line and the odd bit of extra oil don't hurt,better to be safe than sorry

My ms260 has just given up with a lot of smoke perfect mix just F!!!!..flip what the hell is going on ! A minimum cost of 300 euros to repair the chainsaw is only 1 and half years old the sthil shop said they will snd it in to be checked on garentie and Ive just got rid of all my fuel in the other saws and have now changed to aspen 5 chainsaws what the hell you need them all and I cannot afford to lose 1 of them...