Kindling Again

Matt Fitzpatrick

Hi all,

Just joined the forum, been reading all your threads for some time! I have access to an ongoing supply ofy dried joinery waste and intend to produce kindling. I have been offered a contract to supply perforated plastic bags of kindling at 3kg per bag, buy rate £1.45 per bag. I have in excess of 50 tonne of kiln dried waste, mostly softwood which is ongoing.

Do you guys think this is a good rate as I have noticed that it retails at £3.50 - £5.00 per bag.

Please reply back.

Matt

depends how you intend to process, if it means making a payout of £1000's on a modern kindling machine then obviously it's a long term loss, if you can pick up a cheap older machine then that's better but then you have the associated probs of second hand...

there's a couple of guys on here who hire out the machines, but would mean intensive kindling for a couple of weeks to make the most of the hire charge and you'd need the room to store firstly the unprocessed material and then the finished product.

price wise i'm looking to sell 3kg packs in clear plastic (not perforated) at £2.00 wholesale this season.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/22165-kindling-worth-effort.html

Thanks

Storage no problem and better to reprocess than pay Plevins to collect but the process isnt without a lot of labour so it seems that unless you produce many thousands of bags the effort may not be worth it .That said i have a company that will take 10,000 bags for this coming season,how do you find the market for kindling as it appears to be mostly about logs

the market is there but as with everything it's all about cost. i focus more on quality than quantity, i'd rather sell less for more if you get my drift. still a potential 10,000 bag order isn't bad so long as both parties keep their side of the deal...

re the perforated bags they still need to be stored out of sunlight for them to not condensate, no matter how dry the material inside

We have been down the off cut route. For us there is no way we could make it pay. You will be better off with 8ft lengths of larch. the time consuming bit is preping it to 6". We sell our bags retail £3.30 trade £1.50 its tight on profit but u need to leave enough in it for you trade customers so they can buy and store 6 months in front and have enough in the job to allow them to collect. Selling your bags for £1 u may aswell stay in bed :biggrin:

Hi all,

Just joined the forum, been reading all your threads for some time! I have access to an ongoing supply ofy dried joinery waste and intend to produce kindling. I have been offered a contract to supply perforated plastic bags of kindling at 3kg per bag, buy rate £1.45 per bag. I have in excess of 50 tonne of kiln dried waste, mostly softwood which is ongoing.

Do you guys think this is a good rate as I have noticed that it retails at £3.50 - £5.00 per bag.

Please reply back.

Matt

Personally i wouldnt bother, just buy kindling off steve, great product at a price sensible to make a bit of money on :)

if you cut the wood into 6 inch lengths then i can process and bag, looking at charging £200 to kindle and bag 400 nets 50ish by 40 cm. If you just drop offcuts off and you want us to cut to length then you need to add another £70. As you can see you can see profit margins are tight, and that is me doing at not much more over labour cost to keep the lads busy. The longer your offcuts the better, i have done one job where offcuts were rubbish 7-10 inches so just became a pain with a lot of waste. Still interested let me know cheers Rob