ebay alaskan-any good?!

josharb87

always think its a shame when we log up beautifull trunks, give them away ect, so thought about best way of planking them, posts or beams

whats the best way about this??

say this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alaskan-36-Chainsaw-mill-Use-with-Stihl-Husqvarna-etc_W0QQitemZ220275563834QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220275563834&_trkparms=72%3A985%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

alaskan 36inch mill £209.00+£10.00P&P

sounds alright to me!

how good are the actual products (truthfully!)?

any value in the products?

any pointers on milling?

storage?

tips?

thanks

Josh

Peice of cake to use really.How you set up the first blow might have a drastic effect on the rest of the timber.If you just what to make slabs then an Alaskan mill is great.But breaking the slabs down into beams and boards will require a bit more gear.

Thought so, seen the horizontal mill which im guessing is what id need for beams, then again, ive a big old electric circular saw bench, which would do the same as the horizontal mill.

thanks for your advice:001_smile:

just dont think your going to process a lot of timber in a day! I think it only really comes into its own in a situation where you would otherwise only get a high value timber out in rings. i slab mine up then finish it on a saw bench to do edges etc,

also what saw are you planning to run it on?

and finally whats unfortunate about being in cambridge?

I boarded some Acacia up for a customer. They wanted to keep it, but not sure what for yet. They had plenty of space to store it and otherwise it would only go for firewood.

I charged them day rate of £150 as I had never used it before then. It is slow but got it all done in a day. Thats 150 on a saturday that I would otherwise not have got!

Thought so, seen the horizontal mill which im guessing is what id need for beams, then again, ive a big old electric circular saw bench, which would do the same as the horizontal mill.

thanks for your advice:001_smile:

The saw bench of yours would be fine on smaller stuff.But the beauty of the "mini mill" vertically mounted chainsaw that runs on a wee track.Is that if your breaking down big logs you can slide the slab to one side and start making beams with the slab still sitting on the rest of the log.Your sawbencg will limit the thickness of your beams by how far out you can wind the saw blade.Mini mill you'd only be limited by the lenght of your bar.

what chain do you guys use??

i used to use a skiptooth on mine because it was cutting with the grain. then i bough a chain off sandvick at the time which had 2 full teeth and then 2 half teeth.

never really made much of a diiference but they had to be sharp and even to get nice flat even surfaces