switch your electric supplier - now!

Joy Yeomans

gas going up 10% , electric going up 19%, Martin Lewis the money saving expert on Jeremy Vine radio 2 this afternoon, was urging everyone go online and go to the comparison websites and fix your electric or electric and gas tarriffs for the next few months, dont always pick the first cheapest as it may not be the best for you personally he advised.

ive just sorted ours with uswitch and it seemed very straight forward.

whats to loose, - and alot to save?

I wish we could have our old regional electricity boards back, rather than the cartel that's developed thanks to privatisation.

One thing you need to remember with comparison sites is that they're in league with the energy providers to a great extent, because they get paid when they switch you to one of their affiliate providers. They may not show all the options you could have, and one of those might be the cheapest for you.

Tip: on the Uswitch site, there's a question asking if you want to see the plans they can switch you to today. If you click yes, you'll only see the providers they have the switching arrangement with, but if you click no, you'll see more options. In my case, my cheapest option only appears if I click no.

I use Ebico, supposedly the only not-for-profit energy company in the UK. There are just a few straightforward tariffs to choose from, no standing charge, and the rates are clear and stable.

• 2 weeks later...

Word of advice from someone who has switched in the past - make sure you get good evidence of meter reads on the day of the switch.

I had a hell of a time (threatening letters etc) because I wouldn't pay the bill from my old supplier, seeing as how they were trying to invoice me for about £300 worth more of electricity because they'd estimated the meter read.

I knew the readings were wrong but didn't have any hard evidence to prove so ended up having to pay the bills of both old and new suppliers based on the estimate they'd agreed between them. I didn't pay for any electricity twice, but did end up paying a higher (pre-switch) rate for some of the volume.

gas going up 10% , electric going up 19%, Martin Lewis the money saving expert on Jeremy Vine radio 2 this afternoon, was urging everyone go online and go to the comparison websites and fix your electric or electric and gas tarriffs for the next few months, dont always pick the first cheapest as it may not be the best for you personally he advised.

ive just sorted ours with uswitch and it seemed very straight forward.

whats to loose, - and alot to save?

Thats great news i will put my logs up by the same percentage:thumbup: