ugly logs

Joy Yeomans

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had always heard that burning softwood would cause the tars/creosote to condense in the chimney and cause possible chimney fires

I have an unlined cob (mud, straw and animal dung mix) chimney and my stove ( villager C) draws well even when shut right down (cant keep it in over night as cant shut it down enough) - so are you guys saying softwood (well dried) is absolutely fine?

I burn hardwood logs and softwood eco log pellet things at present (pellets are very dry)

Softwood is absolutely perfect for a stove. Like you say....Villager stove aren't the most airtight and draw like hell even when shut down. Make sure you burn it with nice bright flames and your flue will be fine.

Thinking of moving to softwood exclusively. Will leave it till next year after i see how this winter goes with my supplier. If they can't keep up with demand ill get a processor and a stack of softwood. The other nice thing about softwood is it's easy on the processor so no mega money needs spending. It seasons quick and it's fairly light so no expensive machinery needed to feed it into the processor.

Is free....is good. I'll burn almost anything. I find softwoods good for getting the fire going and then stick a good hunk of Gum or something on to keep it ticking over. Before I had chance to bring home the wood I was cutting at work I'd take a trailer down to the processing sites in the forsetry blocks around here and cut up all the left overs. Just needed to leave it under cover for a month or so to dry out and away it went. Like I say, if it's free it's good.

I mainly sell softwood.I am not a hardwood fan.I like Larch mainly But I've had a suprising bit feed back from customers last Xmas saying the pine I sold them they absolutly raved about,said the flames flickered and danced nicely and it smelt lovely and gave off masses of heat

we were given thousands of fence posts off an estate renewing 30km of stock fence too good to turn down ,very good heat and clean burning no problem with flue

Be careful when burning posts

make sure they aren't tanalised as this releases arsenic into your immediate environment and also it accumulates in the ash in the grate.

Probably not a good thing but who knows for sure- arsenic is used as a cure for certain diseases so maybe this is not the correct advice:lol:

make sure they aren't tanalised as this releases arsenic into your immediate environment and also it accumulates in the ash in the grate.

Probably not a good thing but who knows for sure- arsenic is used as a cure for certain diseases so maybe this is not the correct advice:lol:

you could be correct but these were old larch/pine some with creosote etc nothing fancy on these beauties!!!

:biggrin:

Quite right to point this out.

Perhaps of more importance is to ensure you have a good draw on your chimney, with adequate in room ventilation.

This will ensure air is drawn from the room into the stove and up the chimney, thus any nasties are drawn up the chimney. Opening the stove door slowly prevents a sudden pressure change which can cause some blowback.