Experience dosnt count

Jeremy

so i have just been made redundant from the firm i have been working for as their Team leader/lead climber since work has dried up.

The boss has decided to keep on a fairly experienced groundsman of 4 yrs experience, a trainee groundsman fresh out of college and a trainee groundman/climber who only started in the industry in October 2010 both of whom need constant instruction/tuition!!!

I asked why I was being made redundant and not one of the others and the reason I was given is because i cost more to employ, which is due to my experience.

The firm is very vell known in the area and are an arb approved contracter and they carry out some very large scale jobs where experience and knowledge are essential, they now appear to have a very under qualified and in-experienced work force, but he hope to get by!!

I have spent the last 6 six years working hard to gain as much experience as possible and work my way from trainee brash dragger to team leader/lead climber and now i feel i have just been cheated out of my job by a load of newbies because their cheap labour.

Very annoyed and upset!!!!!!! :cursing:

Dear Jeremy: Your employer was very frank with you and time will tell if his decision was wise or not. Usually in business the Labor cost are the biggest expense and if the business is slowing down in general help can and will be let go. I am sorry to hear that your annoyed and upset, I would be too!. If your former employer made a mistake by letting you go for the sake of funding issues leave on good terms. It will not take long for the price of experienced to trump the price of inexperience. Start looking for other employment with your old firms competion. Keep the faith. Move forward!

elg

I think I can see both sides of the coin here. Yes you would be the dearest labour he employs, and if he has no work coming in then he has to try and do the right things for his business and the majority of staff. Depending on the terms of your redundancy, you could sit and be aggrieved. OR you could set yourself up s/e, hire your services out around your area, maybe even sub yourself to him when his work picks up. Annoying and inconvenient though it is, I'd guess this is probably the best he could do for you, I'm sure he wouldnt have laid you off if he thought he could afford to keep you. One door closes, another opens, and good luck, use the forum to try and pick up some work.:thumbup1:

I'm sorry to hear of your troubled times and hope that you find fulfillment with another company soon.

Try to look at life with a positive outlook and think that every downside has an upside too. Is it time to go it alone?

It may mean that he has to pass up the really technical jobs now but may have enough easier stuff that an inexperienced and hence cheap team can do for him. It may mean a slight change in direction of the company but a company that keeps going. If he let the newbie go who costs considerably less than you do that difference in cash flow could have folded the company.

Like Andy said is there any chance you can go self employed? You could sub straight back to your old employer a couple of days a week and then sub to other companies for the rest. It may be a way your old boss can keep you and the technical work without having to pay your full wage, you have a guaranteed 2 or 3 days a week and if you are as good as you make out then filling the rest of the week won't be a problem.

Good luck with whatever you do

Kev

I've been put in a similar situation, not as experienced as Jeremy but substantially more than others at the firm I've left.

This is my second week of freelanceand I'm yet to have a day off, already booked for next week and more people are taking an interest in having me in for work. Seems daunting but I'm finding it really enjoyable and much fairer pay.

Make the most of the opportunity!

thanks for all the response so far. I have already started to pick up some bits of freelance work as i was self employed for three years prior to goin PAYE. i have left the firm on good terms and already have some days booked in with them and he has said he should be able to give me at least 3 days a week when work picks up again.

Does anyone on here know what firms like Bartletts are like to work for as i see they have vacancies in the uk at the moment and could use this as an opportunitie to go and work for a bigger more commercial firm.

thanks

jez

Hi Jeremy. Sorry to hear about your job, I know your good cos I've seen some of your work and the brummie speaks highly of you. Unfortunately your firm has had and lost some of the best guys around here. In the last 6 years all those guys left but only one came back. They are a very good firm, but I guess the management have just decided not to carry expensive staff over quiet summers anymore, only to loose them at some other time when things get busy again. I hope things work out for you.