do you need spikes?

MOG

I dont think I fall into that catagory! When I started out it was normal to wear them up the tree to get a tie in point then maybe take them off! After about 12 years I finally got better at climbing and have not worn them so much in the last 6 years or so. I woud wear them in the wet, but in the dry there is not many trees which cant be taken down (including rigging) without spikes. Except for the trunk. Far more work positions available without spikes as with.

Something like a pine where ever branch is takne off at the trunk then yes spikes.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't find they get in the way of climbing, and I like to dismantle in quite a systematic way which precludes leaving branches to stand on. Especially when rigging.

To me the whole point of rigging is to get the tree down in the fewest number of cuts possible, so that the tedious work of cutting the tree up can be done more quickly and efficiently on the ground.

I hate stubs in every way imaginable.

Maybe if one were to dismantle a tree in tiny pieces like our Swedish friends are wont to do then it would make sense, but that is another debate.

haha awsome comments for and against is good to hear. @ rupe i am in Oz atm man.@ taupoman, i know what ur saying about getting up euc fast but i am more for throwline top tips and SRT up and also take branch off on the way up too. Sometimes i will even SRT up with my spikes on too. this is properly due to getting practice for the comps and enjoy it more. Works sometimes but both are very effective methods

I quite often put my spikes on to climb the stairs. :biggrin:

I agree its a different climbing technique, but I can dismantle faster and more safely with them on.

Yeah ditto to Peter,Far safer and quicker with them on for me,Dont you then leave pegs everywhere which is dangerous as well as annoying when rigging?

Each to there own tho,

P.s ive worn my scarpa's with spikes and they kept slipping moving.

P.P.S Technically your not supposed to wear scarpa's they have no steel toe?

Klimbas all the way if you do a lot of spike work. MOG, we couldn't throw line up many of the Eucs; too close to the 330KV and 500KV and also most of them had been trimmed before so were basically a totem with a whole load of fluff on top. Nothing to throwball in to.

Never keen on leaving pegs on a tree anymore after smacking into one of them and giving me something to think about for the rest of the day.