Early decay progression of I. hispidus

David Humphries

Thats very interesting,thanks! What was the texture of the effected timber like?

Still relatively hard.

Probably could have done with a fractometer test but 1, I haven't got a fractometer and 2, I've chipped the timber. :blushing:

If I remember I will put aside the timber next time and carry out a Dmp test and post the results.

'Fraid I disagree there old boy. :D Tis t'other way round IMO!

Bloody good photos - great learning resource mate.

That's what I originally thought Tony, and you may be correct.

However, the presence of the wound above the bracket leads me to believe that that is ground zero, and that the decay has spread up and down the branch eventually affecting the lost side branch hence weakening and leading to failure.

Thats my theory, very happy to hear alternatives to help me either strengthen or weaken my ongoing education. :001_smile:

Thanks for the input Tony.

I see your point, there just didn't seem to be any decayed/altered wood in the tear. Plenty of discoloured wood but no decay that I could see.

Perhaps a longitudinal cut would have showed more? Plus Arbs never really do/see those in their day to day work, might give additional insight into the extent of decay?

Hmm great pictures David. I took down a big Ash with hispidus infection this week. I am convinced that the infection occured through wind damage tears.

The timber was still strong, but very brittle. I believe the fruiting bodies will suck all available moisture from the host.

• 7 months later...