Milling Yew

Luke Quenby

I must have been lucky- i have always found it to be one of the most stable timbers to mill and dry:confused1:

I have found because the grain is so tight that there is alot af tension and soon as I get a plank off you can visually see it warping:confused1:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks fantastic , how thick are the boards and how do you intend to dry them?

I've been saving up some lumps that I'm gonna get milled soon to hopefully make a fire surround and some shelves and am a bit worried that my time, money and wood will be wasted by not drying them correctly.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Their all 1.5" thick, apart from the 'fused' bit which is 3". Tbh, I wasn't sure whether to leave them a while before milling, or mill when green, but figured if I mill them now, get some weight on them while drying they will hopefully come out well in a year or so.....

May ratchet them down to, just to make extra sure, they were pretty wet when cutting.

I think like anything, loads of people use loads of different ways, some good for some, some not so good for others. I've been meaning to get stuck into these trees for a while, and certainly didn't want to waste anything, so if I get some nice planks out of it, I'll be happy!

YOu cant go wrong with yew. Every last little inch is worth something to someone, as long as it has heart and sapwood in it- the turners and carvers go mad for all the bits that look like total crap and unmillable!!

I must have been lucky- i have always found it to be one of the most stable timbers to mill and dry:confused1:

My experience too. Quite a bit went through my first kiln when I wasn't as sure what I was doing. It all came out straight, unsplit and at the right moisture content. It must be the single easiest timber I've ever had the pleasure of drying.

Nice milling by the way mate - very clean finish (a credit to your sharpening and steady hand on the mill).

Jonathan

My experience too. Quite a bit went through my first kiln when I wasn't as sure what I was doing. It all came out straight, unsplit and at the right moisture content. It must be the single easiest timber I've ever had the pleasure of drying.

Nice milling by the way mate - very clean finish (a credit to your sharpening and steady hand on the mill).

Jonathan

Yeah good point!:thumbup1:

Excelent bits of kit those alaskans. Mine served me well for years and years, and even nowadays it still gets the odd airing!

Stop holding back Tom - you love the Alaskan - all that lovely sawdust to play in afterwards!! :001_tt2:

Nice job Luke just working outside of old warden tm, really nice trees around that area.

Here is a yew we felled a while back and I'm waiting to mill when i get time or sell if its worth some thing ,got a load of other strait peices of it but was really gutted on this peice as there is a chain about 4-5 ft up and past that a massive split appeared in the upper stem when we dropped it!

http://af6a2b5a.jpg